Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

hi, My son is 25 years old and on Jan 6 he had lasik surgery.

hi,
My son is 25 years old and on Jan 6 he had lasik surgery. He now see's crystal clear in one eye, the other eye he see's blurry. Is this normal? The doctor said it can stay like that. That unacceptable since the doctor never said that this can happen. He is very upset. He waited years to have this done. Could this go away since it is only one week since his surgery and it isn't healed yet? or is this common? Is there anything that can be done?
Please help.
thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

What is the vision in the left eye?

Dr. James :

20/20? 20/30? ...

Customer:

the dr. said it is 20/20

Customer:

but one eye is blurry

Customer:

r u there?

Dr. James :

yes.

Dr. James :

the left eye is 20/20 but blurry?

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

In your question, you said that the left eye is blurry and that is unacceptable. Were the risk of the procedure explained to your before signing a consent form?

Customer:

no

Dr. James :

Did your son sign a consent form?

Customer:

i didn't mention which eye it was. but yes he did

Customer:

im not concerned about that but i am concerned about his eye.

Customer:

is this common?

Customer:

is it because it didn't heal yet? but i don't understand why the other eye is clear

Dr. James :

It depends on the cause of the blurriness.

Dr. James :

Sometimes it can be due to the flap.

Dr. James :

if there are folds in it, then possible it may need to be adjusted. this is unlikely the case if the doctor did not mention it.

Dr. James :

it is possible that the eye is still healing.

Customer:

will it go away? or does he have to get something done to fix it.? or is it going to be like that for good?

Dr. James :

it depends on the cause.

Customer:

no the dr didn't mention anything about the flap

Dr. James :

it can be due to dry eyes as well which is common after LASIK.

Customer:

should he see another dr.

Customer:

he normaly has dry eyes

Dr. James :

it is still very early after the surgery.

Customer:

he had used contacts for years

Dr. James :

the big risk is flap dislocation, infection, and abnormal inflammation.

Customer:

should he us more lubricant

Dr. James :

otherwise, the best course of action is to continue using artificial tears and the prescribed drops.

Customer:

nothing like that. the dr. didn't mention anything about inflammation

Customer:

yes that is what he is using

Dr. James :

yes, he'll need to use a lot of lubricants as the corneal nerves regenerate, at least 6 months.

Customer:

ok so it is possible this can clear up

Dr. James :

yes, it is possible.

Customer:

if not then what

Dr. James :

if he has residual refractive error present, then an enhancement can be done.

Customer:

the dr only told him to us the lubricant 4x a day

Dr. James :

ok.

Customer:

the dr. told him to use the lubricant only 4x a day

Dr. James :

Yes, he needs to continue the artificial tears. more often if he feels they are dry.

Customer:

thank you. how long should he give it before he goes to see another doctor

Dr. James :

When is his follow-up visit with this current doctor?

Customer:

i really don't know probably a couple of weeks?

Dr. James :

Have you lost trust in this current doctor?

Customer:

not really but when he told him it could stay like that. I don't believe the wasn't a good enough answer for me....

Customer:

it should be explained.. i wasn't with him otherwise i would have asked a lot of questions

Customer:

my son probably just listened and didn't question anything

Dr. James :

I think you should schedule a sooner follow-up appointment with the current doctor and ensure that all your questions are explained to your satisfaction. A second opinion at this this time may be too early, especially since the new don't does not have all the records.

Customer:

i will but his doctor is away until feb 1 is that to long of a wait?

Dr. James :

it is probably ok to wait until feb 1st since there doesn't appear to be signs of infection. If you can get a second opinion easily though, that may be helpful to ensure that the left eye is healing appropriately.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

ok thank you so much for your help. have a nice evening

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

i w

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon