Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Yestereday an employee of mine came to me for help as something

Customer Question

Yestereday an employee of mine came to me for help as something had flown or blown into her left eye. I looked but couldn't find anything and I assumed it had gone under the eyelid. As pulling the top eyelid over the bottom one had so often worked for me in similar situations I suggested she do this, to no avail. She was in considerable distress and washing out the eye with clear water didn't help either. She put in some over the counter eye drops of her own and went to bed. The next morning (today) the eyelid had swollen noticeably so I applied some Chloramphenicol to the affected eye to prevent any infection. The condition of that eye slowly improved throughout the day and vision was not affected. The distress level had also dropped. Now comes the mystery. She returned to the office from the field reporting that the vision in the other eye had been affected and that she only had peripheral vision in that eye having lost all central vision. I sent her home and advised her to rest and will assess the situation tomorrow, but am completely baffled by what could have caused the partial loss of vision in the right eye which was completely unaffected by the initial trauma affecting the left one. Can you advise please?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I can not explain her vision loss in her right eye bases on a possible minor foreign body in the left eye nor the use of one dose of chloramphenicol ointment/drops to her left eye.

Customer:

Hello Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

CNS problems can, very rarely cause the loss of central vision in one eye and peripheral vision in the other eye as can damage to certain areas of the optic pathways.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like the best thing to do at this point is to get her in for a complete eye exam with an ophthalmologist along with formal visual field testing.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Are you waiting for me?

Dr. Rick :

Did you see my responses above?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

Are we connected?

Customer:

Yes your answers have now come through, which they hadn't earlier. I think it might have frozen and has now unfrozen.

Customer:

I'll wait and see whether there is any improvement in her vision in the right eye tomorrow. The original trauma to the left eye was understandable as it was caused by a foreign body and the eye was improving and vision was not affected. Not so the right eye which should not have been affected in any way. Perhaps it was unrelated. Her boy friend has shingles. Could there be a connection here?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.Dr. Rick : I can not explain her vision loss in her right eye bases on a possible minor foreign body in the left eye nor the use of one dose of chloramphenicol ointment/drops to her left eye.Customer : Hello Dr. RickDr. Rick : CNS problems can, very rarely cause the loss of central vision in one eye and peripheral vision in the other eye as can damage to certain areas of the optic pathways.Dr. Rick : It sounds like the best thing to do at this point is to get her in for a complete eye exam with an ophthalmologist along with formal visual field testing.Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?Customer : Are you waiting for me?Dr. Rick : Did you see my responses above?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
thre seems to be something wrong wih the chat system so I reposted our conversation above. For some reason all the line spacing was removed by the spell checker...sorry about that .
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there? Sorry about all the technical problems we seem to be having at the momoment. I am still here....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok....Sorry again about the technical problems. I'll let our tech people know about it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There were two final qustions that went unanswered. 1) I'm going to wait until tomorrow to asses the situation and see whether rest improved things or not. Perhaps the fatigue of the trauma in the one eye affected the other?

2) her boyfriend has shingles. Can this have anthing to do with the partial loss of vision in the right eye?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
1) I do not believe that line of thinking is correct. If she is, indeed, suffering from the visual field loss you stated waiting is not a good idea as things will get only worse.2) Shingeles (varicella zoster virus) is not contagious between adults who have been exposed before....and 99.9% of all adults in the world have been exposed by age 5. In any event, it would not explain her symptoms or her vision loss. She needs a complete eye exam, sooner rather then later.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I already answered those: Here is is again:1) I do not believe that line of thinking is correct. If she is, indeed, suffering from the visual field loss you stated waiting is not a good idea as things will get only worse.2) Shingeles (varicella zoster virus) is not contagious between adults who have been exposed before....and 99.9% of all adults in the world have been exposed by age 5. In any event, it would not explain her symptoms or her vision loss. She needs a complete eye exam, sooner rather then later.