Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello dr, I have an OCT exam due to check if any subtle changes

Hello dr, I have an OCT exam due to check if any subtle changes are happening that cannot be seen on examination. I saw a retinal specialist who suggested that even though my retina looks healthy there could be subtle fluid under the retina. If this is the case what would this mean visually? Does this kind of impairment cause complete blindness as in no light perception or does it just create varying degrees of low vision. Is choroid neovascularization a possibility, if so would this cause severe impairment. Are there any treatment for these issues? He said I am at higher risk due to being myopic.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hello

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist. If there is no evidence of fluid under your macula on clinial (and contact lens) exam, then there must not be much at all.

Dr. Rick :

OCT as well as a flourescein angiogram would show if there were any fluid present. The angiogram would also pinpoint any choroidal neovascularization, no matter how small it is.

Dr. Rick :

If there is fluid under the retina, localized to the macula it would not cause complete blindness but could cause a loss of central vision.

Dr. Rick :

There are many treatments for issues of fluid leakage under the retina. These range from observation, medical therapy, laser surgery to regular eye surgery, depending on the cause and extent of the fluid. The most important thing to do is figure out the cause of your retinal problem

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

would these issue be resolved with treatment or is a potential long term issue, can it cause complete blindness if it was in other areas of your eye

Customer:

ive only noticed subtle distortions just out of my line of sight, lines look slightly slanted and tilted,

Dr. Rick :

The OCT will only image the center of the back of your eye so, if the problem is outside the center, this test will not find it.

Dr. Rick :

slanted and distorted lines could be from macular issues as well as refractive problems. If your retina specialist couldn't find anything significant on clinical exam I don't think you have to worry that things will progress to lights out blindness.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX under the macular would potentially be fixable and would not lead to total vision loss?

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases that is correct/

Customer:

In my central vision everything looks like it moves in waves also, for example words or letters will appear to move side to side, is this also a sign of macular issues or is it more to do with perception, potentially another issue not related to my eyes

Dr. Rick :

I would first rule out all ocular pathology with symptoms like that before putting the blame on perception or issues with something else along the visual pathways.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss on this topic.