Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had problems with blurry vision, dry eyes, stiffness

I have had problems with blurry vision, dry eyes, stiffness in the neck and sensitivity to light especially with things on a white background for a long time (YEARS). Also the feeling of being tired and mental dullness (things not being sharp or clear in my mind) with occasional headaches. It’s now getting worse. I had my glasses prescription changed 4 times in the past year and I still get it. I’ve also had corrective surgery for a squint (about 8 months ago) as that was thought to be the possible cause at one stage though this hasn't relived my symptoms at all. I also had numerous blood tests over the years for diabetes. Which have come up negative. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would not expect a problem that is limited to your eyes to cause issues with mental clarity....that really sounds like a central nervous system issue.

Dr. Rick :

That also goes for the problems you are having with your neck....

Customer:

should I see my GP in order to get mri scan?

Dr. Rick :

Now, as far as the issues with blurry vision, especially with things on a white background that can be caused by a number of anterior segment issues, such as dry eyes (which you are already somewhat addressing), allergies and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't jump to an MRI until there is a specific issue that needs looking at. Just getting a random MRI without knowing what you are looking for is usually non-productive.

Customer:

what should I do see GP or

Ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

That being said, a visit to your GP to workup your symptoms sounds like a good idea. While you wait I would try some home remedies for the possible anterior segment issues.

Dr. Rick :

I'd see your GP first.

Customer:

many thanks