Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my eyes especially the right one hurts

my eyes especially the right one hurts
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye red or irritated looking in the mirror? Is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to working on your question.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the accept but we have not yet answered your question. Did you see my questions above?Also, does your eyes itch, burn or have any discharge?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Just type your response in the box and I will get your reply.....no need to hit the accept button again....I'm right here.Let's get to work, shall we?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Are you still there? I need more information then just that your eye hurts to better narrow down the diagnostic possibilities. Can your see my questions? Do you have any more information about your condition?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Are you still here? I really need more information to narrow down the possible causes of your eye pain. Do you have more information for me, please?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It is difficult to tell exactly why your eyes hurt without more information, however one common cause is an anterior segment problem. Many times this is a combination of a few issues such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination. The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils. Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec. Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD