Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am experiencing a black fuzzy like floater in my right eye,

I am experiencing a black fuzzy like floater in my right eye, along with overall black speckles (like pepper) all around my right eye's vision. I am a 58 yr. old female. I do take medication for high blood pressure, chlolestrol and border line diabetes. I feel fine except for this floater. I have checked my blood presseure on both arms and have found my left arm to be close to normal and the right arm has shown 178, which is high. This first happened yesterday, and w/ aspirin, and a good night's sleep it was gone. I went to work and 2 hours later it returned. It returned @ noon, today. I returned home and took bayer aspirin and a nap. It is now 6:30p and it is still there. I do wear bifocal glasses. Please advise, Thank You!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD)

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

This sounds like this may be the case. Due to my high blood pressure readings, did this happen in my right eye because the reading was high in my right arm?? As I have said, I do feel fine, except for the black floater obstructing my vision...just wanted to be sure, that this is not a symptom of a stroke,,,

I have not experienced any (lightning) flashes...just the overall pepper like specs and the dark floaters.

If you could,please, address the possiblility of a stroke.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it most likely this is PVD and not a syymptom of a stroke??
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I do not believe that this event has anything to do with your history of high blood pressure or how you hold your reading material.Your symptoms are not constant with a stroke....I would not worry about that possibility. I am sure of this fact.....I've had floaters for almost 30 years in my left eye and I've been just fine. I bet this will be your experience also :)Let me know if you would like to discuss this further. I am still here and available.Our spell checker is running all the paragraphs together and messing up line spacing....sorry about that :(