Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

What does it mean if you have sudden sharp pains in your e

What does it mean if you have sudden sharp pains in your eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan : How often has this occurred and is it in one eye only or both eyes?
Customer:

It is happening in just one eye and started today.

Dr. Susan : How many times?
Customer:

It is happening quite frequently.. bad enough that it makes me grab my eye....it hurts quite bad...quite sharp.

Dr. Susan : Do you have any other symptoms? Eye twitching, irritation?
Customer:

No

Dr. Susan : Does it occur with a certain direction of gaze? For example looking up?
Customer:

No, I can just be doing normal looking. I've been cleaning and then it happened. I was watching television and it happened. It doesn't seem to be a directional thing.

Dr. Susan : And is it just for an instance or does it linger?
Customer:

It doesn't last but for a few seconds, but when in ones eye, it feels like a long time.

Customer:

It makes me wonder what may be going on behind my eye....you know?

Dr. Susan : I would not worry too much! It is probably an irritated muscle or nerve. Similar to a muscle spasm. If it were behind the eye, it would be more of a pressure sensation not pain.
Dr. Susan : Try a few advils (600-800mg ) Tonight
Customer:

How long could this go on and if it continues, should I go see my eye doctor?

Customer:

I have cried today, could that have aggrivated my eye?

Dr. Susan : It should resolve in 24 hours if you take some Advil tonight and again tomorrow. If you don't improve by tomorrow night, see your ophthalmologist on tuesday.
Dr. Susan : Yes- you may have very dry eyes
Dr. Susan : Crying actually dries the eyes
Dr. Susan : Please use artificial tears 4-6 times per day as well.
Customer:

Yes, I do have dry eyes, my eye doctor has told me that before and I have drops for that. I will go put some of those in now and maybe that will help. I'll take the Advil as well and hope for the best. Thank you for your help. Maybe I won't miss work now.

Dr. Susan : I am sure that will help!!! Sorry to hear you have been upset! Tomorrow hopefully you will feel better in every way!
Dr. Susan : Good luck!
Customer:

Thank you so much.....tomorrow will be better....every day is a good day no matter what....thank you again for you help.

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.