Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was just hit below the eye with a metal towel hook that was

I was just hit below the eye with a metal towel hook that was not attached to a door. There is a slight red mark below the eye, and it feels a little sore, but no other symptoms. Do I need to go to the hospital?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How hard were you hit with this hook? Was it thrown at you, did you walk into it, did it just kinda fall and hit you, but not that hard, etc?

Dr. Rick :

Also, how is your vision in that eye? Are you experiencing any double vision?

Dr. Rick :

also, is the red mark above, along or below the rim of bone under your eye?

Customer:

The hook kinda fell from a distance of about a foot above me - it was not nailed down to the door.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

the tiny red mark is in the puffy area about a quarter inch below my right eye left of center towards the nose

Dr. Rick :

Doesn't sound like it hit you with very much force.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you will be fine. I do not think you need to go to the hospital. I'd just put a cold compress on it. As long as you don't have any issues with your eye, and I don't think you will, everything should be fine.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

Yes, I'm just more panicked than anything else. The red mark is a bit sore and has a slightly swollen area around it, but the skin is not broken, and I don't have double vision or anything.
I'll try the cold compress idea...

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a plan :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.