Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I HAVE GLAUCOMA AND IAM USING TIMOLOL GEL IN AM AND XALATAN

I HAVE GLAUCOMA AND IAM USING TIMOLOL GEL IN AM AND XALATAN AT HS. TIMOLOL IS CAUSING BRADYCARDIA , DIZZINESS AND IAM TIRED. CAN U SUGGEST ANOTHER AGENT INSTEAD OF TIMOLOL, THANKS ABID NADEEM
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of options available. It is important, however, that after you change meds that you are followed closely to make sure that you are still achieving your pressure goal.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any allergies that you know of?

Customer:

none

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. As long as you do not have an allergy to sulfa compounds I'd suggest using a topical carbonic anhydrase inhibitor such as azopt or trusopt. These drugs are taken one drop three times a day. In combination with xalatan they should control your pressure

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

thanks dr, but is there soem product long acting rather than using tid

Dr. Rick :

There are other classes of glaucoma medicines available but I think that the above meds will have the best chance of keeping your pressure well controlled when you use them to replace the non selective beta blocker (timolol gel) you have been using.

Customer:

you said azopt or trusopt right doctor.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question. In some patients trusopt will give good pressure control with 2x/day use. Other options, such as alphagan, propine, iopidine etc usually don't work as well as the timolol.

Dr. Rick :

that is correct. Those are two different drugs of the same class and tend to give similar results

Customer:

so i should start with trusopt bid and xalatan at hs, till i see my doctor a cotliar at pres hospital in ny, thanks

Dr. Rick :

Yes, I would have your pressure checked by your doctor 2 to 3 weeks after changing over to the new drops.

Customer:

thanks doc,

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

bye

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.