Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My Husband has glaucoma and has had it for 6 years. After

My Husband has glaucoma and has had it for 6 years. After cataract surgery in both eyes, his left eye pressure spiked and he has lost much sight of that eye. His right eye is very myopic but the sight lost by glaucoma is mininal. Is it possible to get a full eye transplant for the left eye? If not, can laser or surgery help improve the sight in the right eye?
Thank you in advance for your review and advise.

Jacqueline
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

It is not possible for a full eye transplant.

Dr. James :

Regarding the sight in the right it, it depends on why he has lost sight in that eye.

Dr. James :

Do you know why?

Customer:

What about improving his vision in his right eye which is very bad due to severe myopia?

Dr. James :

How is his vision in that right eye with glasses?

Customer:

He was born with severe myopia and his left eye was always quite dominant until the cateract surgery 3 years ago. I believe his vision is -30. So far there is very little damage from glaucoma.

Dr. James :

20/30?

Customer:

I don't know. I could ask his glaucoma specialist who sees him regularly and does Vision Field tests, IP and Manual visions test quarterly. Could I send a reply in a couple of day?

Dr. James :

That's not necessary to ask.

Dr. James :

Any vision loss from glaucoma cannot be recovered with surgery or drops.

Dr. James :

If the vision is blurry from the myopia, that then can potentially corrected with Laser (i.e. LASIK).

Dr. James :

Glasses or contact lens serves the same purpose as the laser surgery however.

Dr. James :

If your husband had severe myopia as a very young child (i.e. less than 8 years old), he could have what is called amblyopia or lazy eye. This is where the eye did not develop the full connections to the brain because of the uncorrected myopia.

Customer:

I believe that is the case. Does that mean laser wouldn't help?

Dr. James :

There is not surgery for amblyopia as an an adult. In kids, patching of the good eye and help strengthen the amblyopic eye.

Customer:

Would it worth our time to confirm that amblyopia is the reason for the loss of sight in the right eye?

Dr. James :

Yes.

Customer:

Thank you. I will write back later on in the week. I appreciate your time.

Dr. James :

His glaucoma can tell you if that right eye can be corrected or not with laser . The best way to estimate the vision in that eye is to check his vision with glasses.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.