Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have develped pain in my right eye with pain in the right

I have develped pain in my right eye with pain in the right temple. I finished treatment in September 2011 for left sided temporal arteritis. Could there be any connection?

memsahib 2012

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Right, I really need to know if this needs a quick appoinment with my GP

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is possible for you to develop giant cell arteritis again with symptoms on the other side.

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision affected at all?

Dr. Rick :

During your previous episode did you have biopsy proven disease?

Customer:

My present sypmtoms are not as severe as the other attack although I have been feeling slightly nauseous.

Dr. Rick :

I think it would be best to see you GP or, if possible, an ophthalmologist, today just to be safe.

Customer:

My vision is permanetly affected as I also have AMD and had damage to my left eye due to condition. I did not have a biopsy since the rheumatologist decided that my symptoms were perfectly obvious for him to make a diagnosis.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Many times, since the steroid treatment can have so many side effects, and need to continue for such an extended period of time, even with obvious signs and symptoms I like to do a temporal artery biopsy -- especially if I can find a tender area of the artery to remove -- just to be 100% sure. The surgery is not difficult and, in experienced hands, is very low risk.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes it does make sense providing I do not need a GA.

Dr. Rick :

I also follow serial ESR and C reactive protein values to gauge the effectiveness of therapy along with symptoms.....

Customer:

OK I used to have all these tests monthy during treatment. I was treated for two and a half years

Dr. Rick :

sounds like you had excellent care.

Customer:

I certainly did!!

Dr. Rick :

That being said, with your new symptoms, I'd have it checked out. This beast can come back :(

Customer:

OK I will see if I can get passed the rottweilers on reception and make an apointment asap.

Dr. Rick :

lol!

Customer:

thank you very much

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Good luck with the Guard Dogs ;)