Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I see double vision when I tilt my head back or right. When

I see double vision when I tilt my head back or right. When I cover my left eye and move head, object also moves along with my head. It only happens while I see from right eye. It seems focus does not adjust correctly.

Actually a couple of days ago I had applied henna to my hair. I have long hair and after applying henna I had about a pound of weight over my head for about 4 hours. Is it possible that caused some damage to nerves?
I went to ophthalmologist and he said eye pressure is fine. There was no swelling behind the eyes. He said because of some chemicals that might have happened and should be fine in few days but I am not seeing that much improvement. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

So are you saying that when you cover your left eye, and tilt your head back or to the right, you see double? Now this is a very important piece of the question: You are saying that you see double when ONLY your right eye is open. Is this correct?

Customer:

Hello doctor Rick

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer:

no I see double when both eyes are open

Dr. Rick :

ok. What happens to the double vision when you close on eye?

Customer:

when I close one eye I don't see

Customer:

double

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Well, first of all, I do not believe that this has anything to do with your hair treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicines?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I take Levoxyl for thyroid

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

is possible that nerve damaged on right eye?

Customer:

because when I close left eye and tilt my head, angle of object does not seem to be right

Dr. Rick :

I think that your issue is due to a muscle imbalance in your eyes. It could be due to something called a decompensated phoria, it could be due to a problem with a nerve that runs one of the 6 muscles that powers each of your eyes, it could be do to early graves disease secondary to your thyroid issues......the differential diagnosis list is long and branching.

Dr. Rick :

Something is going on that needs to be better evaluated the just saying it was your hair treatment and it "should get better" as the ophthalmologist told you....

Dr. Rick :

I suggest that you have a complete eye exam by either a pediatric ophthalmologist (they are experts on adult eye muscle problems and double vision) or a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Customer:

ok then I should go back to ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

Just Remember. If you see a pediatric eye doc you will not be able to play with all the neat toys in the waiting room ;o)

Dr. Rick :

I'd go to someone else. It seems like that eye doc doesn't like dealing with double vision.

Customer:

could it be a serious problem

Customer:

?

Customer:

how is muscle imbalance corrected?

Dr. Rick :

That is a good question. In the vast majority of cases double vision, with no other physical findings, is not a serious -- like a brain tumor (everyone thinks of this one first :) -- issue.

Dr. Rick :

First the cause has to be found. After that there are many treatments available.....

Dr. Rick :

In many cases, it does just go away, like the eye doc who examined you said. I, however, would feel better if you had a better workup then just a routine dilated exam.

Customer:

actually doctor said during my exam that in one of my eye, pupil of eye did not move

Dr. Rick :

Was this guy an eye surgeon, MD? Or an optometrist?

Customer:

yes he is M od

Dr. Rick :

A fixed pupil requires an in depth workup rather then just a passing comment. An OD is an optometrist....they don't know enough about double vision to know what they don't know....if you get what I mean.

Customer:

ok I will see a neuro-ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

An ophthalmologist goes to medical school and has 4 more years of specialty surgical training. Some ophthalmologists, such as a pediatric, neuro, or retina specialist, have additional years of training. Optometrists, in my opinion should fit glasses and contacts.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Try not to worry as I, really, think everything will be ok.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Rick :

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Customer:

sure I will do that

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.