Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I can see 2/3 of a clear shape off to the left of my eye when

Customer Question

I can see 2/3 of a clear shape off to the left of my eye when ever the eye moves. When my eye is not moving the clear shape slowly slides down my eye. It has changed from 1/2 of a clear shape to 2/3's in 0ne day
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How large is this clear shape? Is it like a half moon thing kinda waving in the breeze?

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed and flashes of light or "bugs" floating around in your vision?

Dr. Rick :

Also, how is the vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

like a half moon. no bugs or light flashes. one or two squiggly lines within the half moon shape off to the left when the eye is still and the shape slides down. My vision is about the same. The eye feels like it has something in it but not like an eyelash or piece of dirt. It just feels different.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision?

Dr. Rick :

ooops...got it "about the same"

Dr. Rick :

Well, the biggest worry with the symptoms you are experiencing is that you are currently undergoing a retinal detachment. If this is the case, and since your vision is still relatively unaffected that tells me that your macula --the very important part of your retina used for all of your usual visual tasks -- is still intact.

Customer:

It is ok. It acts like the lens is moving.

Customer:

what should i do?

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist I consider this an ocular emergency. The sooner you are examined by an ophthalmologist, the better. Going to the ER will ONLY be of value if they have an eye surgeon on call who can come in and examine you right away. A regular ER doc does not have the training or the equipment to deal with this issue.

Dr. Rick :

On your way in to be examined, do not eat or drink anything.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Dr. Rick :

The botXXXXX XXXXXne? You need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist right now.

Customer:

yes. the nearest facility that may have a ophthalmolgist is 100 miles away so i'd better get going. Thanks so much for you help.

Dr. Rick :

Give them a call. If you have a chance,drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Rick. I visited a local hospital and the er dr said it was a cataract. After dialating my eye, he said it was not a detached retinae. So, I will be making an appointment with an eye Dr. next week. I have dealt with this ER Dr Previously and trust his judgement. It's a toss up really. Who to believe.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update.

It would be very, very rare for a cataract to cause visual changes over the course of a few days like you have been experiencing.

Even with dilation I am not confident that a ER (non ophthalmology) physician would be able to see a peripheral retina detachment.

That being said, I am glad that you were able to have someone look at you.

If it gets worse, or you notice a drop in your vision please get examined by an eye surgeon ASAP.

Please keep me updated on your progress. Have a good day.