Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I recently got new glasses and about a week later I started

Customer Question

I recently got new glasses and about a week later I started getting little flashes (like migraine flashes) in my eyes. The flashes have stopped but my vision seems changed. I cannot see from approx. 5 ft away as clearly as before. I am far-sighted so my distance vision was always pretty good. I've been very dehydrated lately, too. Would the dehydration affect my eyes like that? Are any of these symptoms related?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

What do you think might have changed my vision?

Dr. Rick :

Our chat system is not working well today. Let me know if youhvae problems seeing my responses.

Dr. Rick :

Dehydration would not be expected to cause changes in your vision.

Dr. Rick :

How long did the flashes last for? Have you also seen little dots, bugs or lines floating around in your vision?

Customer:

Nothing but the flashes and they came when I would go to the computer or look at bright lights like the television. They only lastef for seconds but came often.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having a vitreous detachement.

Customer:

What is that?

Dr. Rick :

detachment...

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Since you distance vision seems to be slightly decreased I think it would be a good idea for you to have a complete eye exam early this week just to be on the safe side.

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist (eye MD)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok...I just had an eye exam and new glasses in the past 2 months.

Customer:

Yes, I have done some online investigating and this is what it seemed like to me but I'm not the expert. thank you for your advice!

Dr. Rick :

I know, but with this change it is best to have another exam. Don't go to an optometrist but rather have the exam done by an eye surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Thank you! I will make an appointment.

Dr. Rick :

GOPACKGO!

Dr. Rick :

I'm a Packers fan....sorry about that, it just slipped out lol!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.