Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

My right eye started itching and tearing yesterday. When I

My right eye started itching and tearing yesterday. When I woke up in the night last night, it was crusted shut. I put in eye drops. This morning it really itches and is blood shot. Any sugestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Have you had a recent cold? Traveled in the past 2 weeks? Any recent trauma to the eye?
Dr. Susan :

If you are healthy with no history of recent eye surgery/ issues, you most likely have viral conjunctivitis. There is no cure or treatment for a virus- we can only make suggestions to help alleviate your systems. For the next few days- cord compresses, preservative free artificial tears and good hygiene (washing hands,not sharing towels and pillows) shouhelp prevent the other people and your other eye from getting the same symptoms. Now there area few very virulent strains of viral conjunctivitis. So if your symptoms do not improve in the next 2-3 days or if your vision is blurry and pain increases- please contact your eye specialist.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.I was visiting in Japan whe

Customer:

PS What is a cord compress

Dr. Susan :

I am sorry-I meant cold compress

Customer:

I was visiting in Japan when the symptons started

Dr. Susan :

With your history of recent travels-I am confident that thisisviral conjunctivitis (pink eye)!

Dr. Susan :

give it 2-3 days and your symptoms should resolve

Customer:

Thank you for your help. have a good day.

Dr. Susan :

Wishing you a quick recovery!