Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, my 2 year old daughter has had watery eyes for over

Customer Question

Hello, my 2 year old daughter has had watery eyes for over 3 weeks. There was also discharge. She had been going to daycare where pink eye was diagnosed in a few children. As she was symptomatic, she was started on eurythromycin topical cream and after two days she broke out in hives. The day she broke out in hives she had new wool pants on for the first time as well was given a tiny piece of chocolate that had hazelnut in it. She had the wool pants on and had eaten the chocolate for about 6 hours before hives started on her hand and spread to her belly and feet. The hives were cured in a couple of days with benadrlyl however her eyes continued to be watery with discharge. She was given tobramycin and referred to an allergen specialist. Was also given oral antibiotics as the tobramycin workers but once stopped her symptoms came back. The discharge is gone but her watery eyes and redness around the eyes continue. Benadryl does help a little but there seems to be nothing that is stopping it. Her nephew had a blocked duct and I am not sure if this may be the case but it seems to be late for this to develop. She is waiting to see an allergen specialist and her GP has taken eye swabs. I have asked for a referrals to a pediatric ophthalmologist but the GP a wishes to wat until after the swab and alleged testing. Any suggestions you may have to help treat this would be greaty appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. First of all I do not think that the eye swabs will be of any value as this does not sound like a bacterial infection. Also, before going to an allergy specialist I tend to agree with you -- have her examined by an ophthalmologist. If she can be seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist, so much the better as they are very experienced on getting in a good eye exam on little kids who don't want to be examined :)

Dr. Rick :

I think that the extensive use of so many different antibiotics have done nothing other then muddy the waters. That being said, an ophthalmologist is the best trained person to sort out the possible causes of your daughters eye problems.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr. Rick, is there anything that could help with the redness under her skin. I have put Vaseline when sleeping as it is irritated and red from my daughter rubbing it. The skin is also very dry. I am conscious of not wanting to cause further problems as the skin is so close to the eyes and do not want to cause further irritation. Maybe she has an allergy but nothing is different in the house and we cannot think of anything else. To explain the continued watery eyes. I know wait times are long for the ophthalmologist so it is likely see an allergy specialist first. I will push for the GP to refer her to an ophthalmologist when the swab results are back. Would warm or cold compresses help?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I think that warm compress would be best. I would also, if you haven't already, stop all antibiotics that are being given to treat her eyes.

A little bit of Vaseline won't hurt anything at all and it should help with her dry, irritated skin.

You could also use preservative-free artificial tears (they are available everywhere...ask the pharmacist) as frequently as necessary to soothe her eyes.

I'm sorry to hear of all the problems your daughter is having. Hopefully she can get in to see an eye doc soon so this can get cleared up....or maybe it will just go away :) That would be nice ;)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

By the way, even if you push the accept button I promise not to go up in a puff of smoke....I'll still be around on this thread to help you at no additional cost should you so desire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I am still giving Benadryl twice daily for the past 3 days. Do you think I should stop this as well. It does seem to help. She wakes up in the morning and her eyes are clear. They then start to water and she irritates the skin rubbing them. I do not want to use this if you think we should stop all meds. I will await your kind reply.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The Benadryl should be OK......