Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

Hello, I have a floating black line in the right eye similar

Hello, I have a floating black line in the right eye similar to a black smoke cloud being windblown. It has been constant for a few days and shows no signs yet of clearing up. Any advice on treatment much appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan : Are you nearsighted?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
What you are experiencing can be one of two different things: either a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) or more seriously a retinal detachment.

A PVD is a normal degenerative change to the gel inside of the eye called the vitreous. With aging this gel liquefied and pulls away from the retina. This is mostly benign but rarely, it can pull with it a piece of the retina can cause a retinal tear.

A retinal detachment is when the retina for one reason or another lifts off of it's attachments. I am concerned that you are experiencing this because of how you described your symptoms. It is imperative that you see an eye specialist as soon as possible. The sooner you are treated, the better your outcome.

I am hoping that you have just had a PVD but one can never be sure without a full ophthalmological exam!

Good luck!