Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I had asked a doctor here the same question but some time has

I had asked a doctor here the same question but some time has gone by (two and a half weeks since) and I want to follow up about my situation. This doctor told me that what happened has not permanently damaged the whites of my eyes and that the red vessels will go back to their smaller "baseline" and not to worry. She told me to stop using Visine and any eyedrops that "take the red out" whereby I did. However, I still have not seen much improvement of those red blood vessels. Can this take a good while for these red blood vessels to constrict back to their baselines? Again, the incident happened on Dec. 2nd. Right now, these red blood vessels in my sclera are swollen due to the following that happened in the beginning of December with my dermatologist. Below is that happened:

I am very concerned about red blood vessels in the white area of my left eye (between my nose and my eyeball). What happened about three weeks ago was that I had to have two plates temporarily placed on my eyes, below my eyelids because I had my eye lids lasered by my doctor (it was to remove capillary veins from my eyelids). The plates were made of a plastic material to protect my eyes from the lasers. With my left eye, the doctor had some trouble placing the plate because it kept coming out. She kept having to re-install the plate which touched directly the white area of my eye. She finally got the plate to say (the plate in my right eye was place correctly the first try without having to keep putting it in so there was not that repeated contact with the white area of my eye with the plate as with my left eye). Anyway, I now have these red vessels in my left area of my eye where the doctor had trouble getting that plate to stay. This was the second time I had done this. The first time, there was no trouble at all and my eyes looked fine. My doctor assured me that this would cause no damage to the white area of my eye ahead of time, before the first time.

When I emailed her after the second time which has left red blood vessels in my white eye area, she assured me that it would go away "over time". It is true that my eye looks a little better than it did before. However, the vessels are still visibly there and my left eye are looks bloodshot from the vessels. My right white eye area looks fine. I am getting really worried about my left eye and am very self-concious about it. I see fine but the red vessels really look ugly. I look like I am "stoned" in my left eye. Does my left eye still need more time to heal? Its been three weeks. Again, my doctor "assured" me that these vessels would go away "over time" but I thought they would be gone by now. She is also not an eye doctor (she is a dermotologist who performs laser treatments for the skin). Please advise me what I should do. Should I get medicated eye drops from an eye doctor? Thank you for your time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am sorry to hear that things have not gotten better yet.....I would have expected you to see at least some, if not a lot, of improvement by now.

Dr. Rick :

I think it is time for you to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist. While I still believe that the shield that the dermatologist put in your eyes should not have been able to cause any damage I think it would be best to see an eye MD to be sure.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Also, if you have a chance could you drop me a note and let me know what the ophthalmologist finds? Thanks :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Also, I'd be happy to take a look at your eye if you could take a clear, in focus picture. Here's one way to upload it to me:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to
Upload your picture to the site by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr. Rick,

For some reason again, I had a lot of trouble finding your answer-I don't know why this keeps happening. I tried for about 20 minutes to find your answer but just kept seeing the question I typed. But could not find your answer until now. I am now reviewing it. I would have replied sooner if I could find it. I guess there is just some strange glitch on my end. I will review your answer and then reply and accept your answer. thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure. I'll drop a note to the powers that be and see if maybe the problem is on our side....sorry about that :(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr. Rick,

I forgot to mention that the vessels did appear to be receding since we last corresponded on Dec. 22nd but were still there. However, today, I did put ice on my eyelids and this seemed to make the vessels swell on my left eye. Should I not have done that?

I do plan on visiting my opthamologist asap. Do you thinks its possible that this just might take several more weeks for the blood vessels to recede to their normal base? thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I don't think that putting ice on the area did any damage so I'd not worry about that.

It may just take more time but, like I said, I would have hoped things would be pretty much back to normal by now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you recommend that I ask my opthamologist about any special eye drops that would restrict these red blood vessels in my left eye?

Is this a really bad sign that the vessels are not fully back to normal or have you seen situations where it can take a good number of weeks? I promise I won't keep answering questions about this---I just need to know if there are cases like mine where it takes longer than normal. I am really scared.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
There is no need to be scared. Even at their worst these blood vessels will do no damage to your eye or vision at all.

I don't think there are any drops that will speed things up from what you are telling me. However, after a complete eye exam I am sure that the ophthalmologist will go over any and all options.

Like I said, this is not a bad sign....and everything will be OK in the long run. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I must admit this about aesthetic alone-I just feel ugly and self conscious with these vessels in my sclera. I am just hoping that I can get these vessels restricted back to their baselines so my sclera will look white again.

Anyway, thanks. I just want to have beautiful eyes again.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I think that will happen......try to keep the faith ;)