Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

I was told by my ophthalmologist that the bag holding my lens

I was told by my ophthalmologist that the bag holding my lens which was installed during cataract surgery has let go and the lens is now out of position. I am experiencing excess glare. What can be done to fix my eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.
It appears that you are no longer online.
Yes your lens can be repositioned. Depending on how much of the capsule is remaining, your surgeon has a couple options. He/ she can simply go in and straighten it. If it is grossly dislocated, the surgeon will remove it and put a new lens in. The lens will either go in the front segment of your eye or be sutured into place behind your iris ( the colored part of your eye). Either way, not to worry- the glare will disappear and your vision be the same as before in most cases!

Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have also been told my iris, which is fixed and permanently dialated may not withstand suturing. I have a slural buckel and have had my retina reattached and a vitrectomy. With this addl info now what are your recommendations?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that you have undergone so many eye surgeries. If your surgeon does not feel that a scleral fixated IOL is possible because of your past ocular history, then an anterior chamber lens is your best option. It is a relatively simple procedure surgically. The results are also very good with few possible complications. Please discuss this option with your surgeon. I'm sure he or she is aware of this and will consider it for you if you are the appropriate candidate.

Good luck! I am confident that you are in good hands.