Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

Hello, I had 4 holes in my eye due to latice (sp) degeneration.

I had 4 holes in my eye due to latice (sp) degeneration. So, the specialist did corrective laser eye surgery to fill in the holes. However, I smoke marijuana daily and did not discuss this with him. I did not think to even ask. Now, after a long day, I'm wondering if it's ok if I smoke as usual, smoke occasionally, or if I should not smoke at all. Also, will it affect my eyes any, if so, how? At last, know that I am bi-polar and smoke because it helps calm me. I've had a stressful day and would like to relax a little, but do not want to damage my eyes.

Dr. Susan : Hi Lara are you available to chat?
It appears that you are no longer online.

Lattice degeneration is a thinning of the retina out in the periphery. Sometimes because so thing, holes can develop in the retina in that area. This is a degenerative type of change that has to do with the length and shape of your eye. Many nearsighted individuals can have lattice.

Now to answer your question- I am not aware of any detrimental effects on the eyes caused by marijuana other than dry eyes. Dry eyes occur because of the smoke obviously. I would not worry about the lattice- it appears that your ophthalmologist has a keen eye and was able to detect and treat it!
Sorry- line 3 should be "sometimes because so thin"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, is there any pressure risks that might come about from a hit or two? I just had the holes sealed shut today and I don't want anything to go wrong, as the procedure was very long and uncomfortable, and I don't want to repeat it.
The only know effect of marijuana on the eye is a possible lowering of the intraocular pressures. This claim is not very well supported. If this claim was 100% true and you were to lower your eye pressure a bit tonight- it will most likely not have any effect on your lattice or the treatment you had. Hope this information helps you!