Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello, can the laser used in self checkout machines at the

Hello, can the laser used in self checkout machines at the supermarket cause damage to the eyes if looked at by accident. I looked at it fir a couple of seconds. If they can damage eyes, what would be the symptoms. It. Was very bright and for a slit second j experienced an afterimage

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Ate you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : For the most part, these lights associated with the checkout scanners do not have the capability of damaging vision. This is mostly because they are not focused enough beam of light to cause damage to the retina.  The After image you experienced, however, is normal and is to be expected after viewing any light source. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.