Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

is laser eye surgery the best option to correct myopia

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan : How myopic are you? What is your prescription?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
It appears that you are no longer online.

To answer your question- YES LASIK is a great surgery! But for the right candidate. If you are healthy and you are a moderate myope (anywhere up to -7.00) and have become tired of wearing contacts LASIK is good option. BUT there are many factors that have to be in place- you must have the adequate corneal thickness, not have any ocular conditions that can prevent you from healing properly, also not have any ocular conditions such as keratoconus. If your prescription is higher, there are other procedure which may better suit you.

I advise you to also research your surgeon- make sure he/she uses the lated technology,is well trained and has satisfied customers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my powers are -9.what other procedures are there
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
You are on the borderline- I prefer to do PRK on patients that are above-8.00. It all depends on the thickness of your cornea. If you are your surgeon is using a keratome to cut the flap you will need to have a corneal thickness of at least 600 microns to have a stable cornea post operatively. If you are doing Intralase an bit less is needed. For -9.00, you may want to consider PRK- same procedure except, only the top layer of the cornea is removed. Healing is a bit longer and there is 2-3 days or pain (tolerable). At the end you will have a stronger cornea and less risk of future complications.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks a lot but how much do these procedures cost
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
Depends where you are having the surgery done. Your question is coming to me from Nigeria. I am in the USA. Prices vary. Shop around but don't go with the cheapest- its your eyes after all!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can't you refer me to any doctor,there is none here in nigeria.If the prices are right I could arrange to travel to get it done
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
You want to comet the USA for your surgery? Have you considered London? Much closer to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you refer me to anyone in London
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but I don't! You can research on the Internet! Look for a doctor whom is fellowship trained in cornea or refractive surgery. A surgeon with board certification for that country. Also someone whom does these surgeries routinely. Ask to speak to a some of the patients he/she has operated on before. If you come to the US- you can't go wrong with any of the big centers: bascom Palmer in Miami, wilmer in Baltimore, wills eye center in Philadelphia.

Good luck!