Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

Type your Medical question here what is an elliptical mass,

Customer Question

Type your Medical question here what is an elliptical mass, laying on the macula on the vitreous side. T-N is long S-I is round. The mass is dark green with orange halo. Central Subfield thickness is 324 um, T 311>263, N 335>293, S 322>268, I 315>262, Fovea 253,65.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Susan : Are the numbers measurement from an OCT picture?
Customer:

numbers are from ILM-RPE thickness (um) Macula thickness: Macular Cube 512x128

Dr. Susan :

You have a mass that is measure this?

Dr. Susan :

What have your physicians told you about it?

Dr. Susan :

Have you had an ultrasound?

Dr. Susan :

Please tell me more so that I can help you with some information.

Customer:

The picture is from an optical coherence tomography the numbers are from the ILM-RPE cube the maqcula being the center the elliptical mass is there layng on the macula it looks like a drop of liquid but elliptical shape and the same color as the retina except a little darker. the doctor said is a cyst. and gabe not recomendations. i will like to make sure that this is not going to turn into a macula hole.

Customer:

DR. Susan up to now you have not giving any answers, all have read is questions.

Dr. Susan :

I am trying to gather information from you so that I do not give you incorrect advice sir.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Susan :

There are many masses that could have these dimensions, and I was worried about something serious. Now I understand what you are describing is a macular cyst like your physician told you. Sometimes they do progress to a macular hole. Please let me explain.

Dr. Susan :

I am assuming you don't have any other conditions such as diabetes or macular degeneration. Am I caorredt?

Dr. Susan :

correct?

Customer:

I am A dibetic under control since I stop taking avandia.

Dr. Susan :

This macular cyst is the very first stages of a macular hole. It is caused by traction,pulling of the gel called the vitreous, inside of your eye. As we age this get becomes liquified and starts to pull on the retina. Once it detaches it is called posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). In patients with this cyst, the PVD is incomplete. Now- once it does detach completely it will either release the ILM (top layer of the retina); or in some cases pull the ilm and cause a macular hole.

Dr. Susan :

Thank you for your answer- I am assuming then, that this is not macular edema secondary to your diabetes.

Customer:

the doctor did not informe of this being amacular edema, I have seen PVD in internet . what i have does not look any thing close. the retina looks completelly normal for ecxeption of the thickness being thicker than normal. The avandia cause me to be overweight by 30 lbs. drop that much weigth in a month since I stop taling avandia this I did a year ago I am recovering very nicely.

Dr. Susan :

Have you seen the picture with the macula and two lines like a "V"extending from it?

Customer:

yes,S-I is 256 T-N is 64

Dr. Susan :

Let me see if I can find on

Full Size Image

Dr. Susan :

Is yours anything close to this?

Customer:

no, the macula looks normal in my picture.

Dr. Susan :

Good-

Dr. Susan :

I think you have a cyst related to your diabetes.

Dr. Susan :

When there is fluid in the retina it causes a thickening. This can occur in diabetics very commonly unfortunately

Dr. Susan :

With tight blood glucose control it will resolve.

Customer:

is there any thing i can do to resolve this elliptical drop go away.

Dr. Susan :

You already have!!! I am thinking that now that you have lost weight- your sugars are much more well controlled.

Dr. Susan :

That is the BEST thing to do!

Dr. Susan :

Do you know your HgA1C?

Customer:

my goal is to get ride of all my medications, thank you

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.