Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

My waterline on my right eye is cracked and extremely dry -

Customer Question

My waterline on my right eye is cracked and extremely dry - doctor gave my Fml ointment and not seeing any relief. 2 months ago had my eye irrigated and the tearing has since stopped, just finished antibiotics 2 wks ago because was still having a mild white discharge, that is now gone but underneath the eye and my waterline is extremely dry, irritated and in the morning very puffy. Don't know what to do now.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Customer : Yrs
Customer : Yes
Dr. Susan : How long have you been using the FML and tobradex?
Customer : Stopped using the to faded a month ago (one week after the eye was irrigated) started using the Fml ointment 2x daily 3 days ago.
Customer : Auto correct stopped using the tobradex
Dr. Susan : It appears that it is not working- correct?
Customer : Correct
Dr. Susan : Your drainage issues and infection has also cleared correct?
Customer : Yes no more tearing and no discharge
Dr. Susan : Now it's just the eyelid skin?
Customer : It is the waterline and directly underneath the eye
Customer : On my my face
Dr. Susan : Ok- I would discontinue everything! Steroids (fml and tobradex) not only have preservatives but the medication itself can cause thinning and drying of the skin.
Customer : Ok so what do I do for the dryness, cracked and irritation?
Dr. Susan : Your eyelid skin is very sensitive because it is very thin. Discontinue it an use the petroleum jelly for a few days only. Use it 2-3 times per day
Customer : Also I am NOT on the Tobradex anymore
Dr. Susan : You should see relieve in 3-4 days.
Dr. Susan : But you are On FML?
Customer : Yes to the fml
Dr. Susan : That is a steroid too
Customer : Yes I know. Ok so stop the Fml.
Customer : Do I apply Vaseline? Or stop that too?
Dr. Susan : Yes- let the skin heal on its own while lubricating it with the Vaseline which is safe and nontoxic.
Dr. Susan : That area has had too much "trauma"- infection, irrigation, drops, ointments!
Customer : Ok so do not apply anything at all, right? And see how it is in a few days, right?
Dr. Susan : Ues just the Vaseline- thin layer 2-3 times per day
Customer : That is what I was doing before I started the Fml.
Dr. Susan : Just the Vaseline- I am confident it will heal in a few days. If not and it worsens you can see a dermatologist.
Customer : The dermatologist is the on who prescribed the fml
Dr. Susan : No improvement with the Vaseline?
Customer : None
Customer : That is why I went to the dermatologisy
Dr. Susan : Well the FML is also not working! So stop it because it does have side effects
Customer : Ok I agree and will stop iy
Customer : It
Dr. Susan : Sometimes too much treatment is the problem!
Dr. Susan : Aquaphor is a good ointment too- it just lubricates and is hypoallergenic
Customer : Is that OTC?
Dr. Susan : May want to try that sine Vaseline didn't help
Dr. Susan : Yes! Where all the lotions are- it looks a lot like Vaseline too! I recommend it to patients all the time and use it on my children's dry skin.
Customer : Ok I will try that
Dr. Susan : Good luck! Give it a few days!
Customer : Thanks
Dr. Susan : My pleasure!
Dr. Susan : I hope that I have helped answer your question. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.