Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

Ive just experienced a couple of black flickers in my right

I've just experienced a couple of black flickers in my right eye. It lasted for only about a second or so. It felt it was coming from the upper right of my eye. I have had recent opthalmology tests in the past 4 months, with normal results. Is this an emergency?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

Are you nearsighted?

Customer:

hi yes im here, yes im nearsighted

Dr. Susan :

do you know your presciption?

Dr. Susan :

prescription?

Customer:

erm not sure i dont think it is severly nearsighted

Dr. Susan :

if you don't have glasses on, are you able to watch television or drive?

Customer:

no i need glasses for everything

Dr. Susan :

ok- any family history of retinal tears or detachments?

Customer:

my brother had a detached retina twice due to a sports injury

Dr. Susan :

And are these flickers always in the same eye or is it alternating between eyes?

Customer:

i think it is just in my right eye, the flickering is dark

Dr. Susan :

If it turns out that this is an isolated incident- not to worry. But if it continues to occur- I would worry about a retinal tear or detachment.

Dr. Susan :

Especially if it is always in the same location

Dr. Susan :

Other things to look out for are: shower of floaters, a veil over a part of your vision, a sensation that your glasses are foggy or dirty.

Customer:

Is there anything I should do in the meantime. it has occurred a few times but I had an eye exam only last week and nothing was found. I am worried about blood flow to my eye, would I get this type of symptom

Dr. Susan :

why are you worried about blood flow- you are only 24 years old

Dr. Susan :

are you taking any medication?

Dr. Susan :

are you suffering from a headache or migraines?

Customer:

Im overweight and suffering from strange headaches at the moment, like a pulsating, vibrating feeling. It feels as though my brain is expanding and contracting. It comes on in waves

Customer:

no, no medication

Dr. Susan :

Are you being evaluated for your headaches?

Customer:

my doctor wont refer me to a neurologist

Dr. Susan :

well- I am not sure how the health care system works in the UK! Not that great obviously but this is no the forum for that.

Dr. Susan :

But I would only worry if you experience the symptoms I described above.

Dr. Susan :

At least with regard to your eye

Dr. Susan :

A retina tear is not something that your doctor could have PREDICTED 4 months ago. It is spontaneous.

Dr. Susan :

so if you get those symptoms- go to the emergency room.

Customer:

ok, so no need to worry about blood flow or anything else like that, only if it is a retinal tear with the other symptoms?

Customer:

would an eye doctor be able to clearly see if there was a retinal tear if i got an eye exam tomorrow?

Customer:

do you know if there are neurology causes that would create this symptom and if so is it potentially sight threatening

Dr. Susan :

Well we could go over every ophthalmological issue that can cause a flicker- I mean you could have a aneurysm in your head, optic neuritis, infection, etc etc, etc. But from what I have learned about you, your symptoms, your history- you are most likely at risk for this and "aura" associated with migraines. We can never be 100% sure about all the other things. Your interist feels that you are healthy based on your medical record- and thus the reason for not getting another opinion. I hope this is the case! I would not worry too much. Keep an eye out for the tings I discussed with you. Hopefully, this flicker will not recur and you dont have to worry at all.

Dr. Susan :

sorry I meant your internist

Dr. Susan :

Good luck!

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.