Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

my father has been diagnosed with occular degenerative disease(dry).

my father has been diagnosed with occular degenerative disease(dry). how long before his vision is gone? what is the difference between wet or dry occular degenerative disease?

Dr. Susan :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

How much has his vision been affected already?

Dr. Susan :

Please allow me to tell you a bit about macular degeneration.

There are two types of macular degeneration: the dry and the wet. The dry type is characterized by what we call drusen- white accumulations of extracellular material in a layer of the retina. The wet is when these drusens cause the layer under the retina, to grow new vessels and bleed.

In some cases, AMD advances so slowly that people notice little change in their vision.It is very difficult to predict if or when one will lose vision because of AMD.

Regular comprehensive eye exams can detect macular degeneration before the disease causes vision loss. So I recommend you keep up with your father's appointments and perhaps ask his ophthalmologist if he recommends the AREDS vitamins. These vitamins have been found to help a CERTAIN group of people with AMD.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is the difference of the icaps with vitamin A and those withojt vit.A?

Vitamin A has something called beta carotene in it. This has been found to be linked to lung cancer in patients whom are smokers. Smoker should not take vitamin A.

You father must either be a current smoker or had been in the past.