Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Six days ago, I woke up with a mildly bloodshot left eye;

Six days ago, I woke up with a mildly bloodshot left eye; Later that day, I started having pains when bright light hit that eye (staring a computer screen, headlights while driving). No discharge from eye, other than tears (no yellow or green mucus, like with pinkeye). Had very mild cold symptoms (slight runny nose, slight itchiness in throat). Two days ago, the vision in the left eye became cloudy. Doesn't appear distorted, just fuzzy, as if frosted glass was in front of the eye. Left eye is no longer sensitive to bright light. Right eye has been unaffected by any symptoms during this time. Any idea about what might be causing this, or if a doctor's care is needed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that you had a viral conjunctivitis, what many people commonly refer to as 'pink eye'. Most people who get this have a spontaneous and normal resolution without visual sequelae. However, occasionally, there is significant enough inflammation in the conjunctiva that the inflammation spills over into the cornea. This inflammation, called keratitis, can cause the vision to be fuzzy, even after the redness, pain, and light sensitivity go away.

Doctor DanB :

For this reason, I would recommend going to see an ophthalmologist who can make verify this diagnosis (or another one if something else is going on) and who can prescribe the appropriate steroid drops to help this inflammation.

Doctor DanB :

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

I suspected viral pinkeye, but hadn't seen anything online about the clouding of vision.

Customer:

Would this clear up in a few days without the steroid drops? I'd hate to spend a day going to the doctor, getting the drops, etc., if this is likely to resolve itself in a few days.

Doctor DanB :

It's certainly possible, yes. I would say that it's reasonable to give it a couple of days and if it hasn't resolved or is worsening, then a trip to the ophthalmologist's office would be a good plan.

Doctor DanB :

Doctor DanB :

ounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Will see if ophthalmologist can see me in the next few days. But having you coinfirm my suspicions was very helpful.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology