Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My left eye has been really hurting for the past 2 days and

My left eye has been really hurting for the past 2 days and does not seem to be improving. I am experiencing redness and light sensitivity as well. My vision is the same, just a little blurry when I first wake up. Coffee usually does the trick. :) I do wear contacts and put in a fresh pair on Tues. when I started to notice the pain which did not seem to help. It feels OK when I wake up in the morning so I can put my contacts in to drive my kids to schools but the pain gets progressively worse as the day goes on and I will not be able to work this weekend if this continues. Sometimes I can barely open my eye the pain is so bad.
I do not have health insurance and am avoiding going to the doctor. I only see an Optometrist for my contacts.
Is there anything I can do at home to help my eye improve so I can continue with my daily functions pain free?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

Yes

Doctor DanB :

I suspect you have what is called contact lens-induced keratitis. Contact lenses cover the cornea completely when it is on the eye. The problem with this is that the cornea gets it's nourishment from oxygen in the air and not from blood vessels. Whem the cornea is having a relative lack of oxygen and is unable to compensate for this, there can start to be redness, pain irritation light sensitivity and tearing happen because of this. This is contact lens induced keratitis.

Doctor DanB :

What I would recommend is to stay out of your contact lenses for a good couple of weeks. For most people, this can help the symptoms to improve, but also for most people, they may not completely go away, or they may come back when the contact lenses are put back in.

Doctor DanB :

If the symptoms go away when you take them out for a week or so, but then return after you start using the lenses again, then you will need to see an ophthalmologist because at this point, your symptoms likely will not resolve completely without an antibiotic/steroid combination drop to rid your corneas of the inflammation that has set in. Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes, thank you. I only have contacts to improve my vision so I guess I should get a pair of glasses.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I think that would be best. Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Customer:

Is there anything I can do to help with the pain in the meantime?

Doctor DanB :

Cool compresses and artificial tear use (avoid the get-the-red-out or redness-reliever kind, though) will help with the pain, as well as maybe tylenol or ibuprofen.

Customer:

Thank You Again!