Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What would cause both eyes to be bloodshot?

Welcome to Just Answer

Is there any pain or watering or discharge from the eyes?

Is there any history of injury or trauma to the eye or head?

Are you taking any blood thinning medicines?

Any history of hypertension/ severe coughing or sneezing?graphicDo the eyes look similar to this image?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is watering from both eyes. No history of injury/trauma to my head or eyes and not taking blood thinning medicines. No severe coughing/sneezing. My eyes do not look like the picture above.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Watering and severe redness of both eyes could be seen in case of acute viral conjunctivitis or in case of allergic conjunctivitis. Viral conjunctivitis is a self limiting condition which subsides within 1-2 weeks without any specific treatment. Only lubricating eye drops canbe used for soothening effect. Being contagious prevention of spread has to be done by frequent washing of hands.

In case of allergic conjunctivitis, there is usually associated itching in the eyes along with thin ropy discharge. Initially over the counter eye drops such as Alaway can be used , 1 drop twice a day , for 2-3 weeks. If severe, then prescription eye drops such as olopatadine eye drops will be beneficial.

Since your eyes do not look like the image sent, it rules out the possibility of a broken blood vessel or a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist