Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

I rubbed my eye yestrerday with my contacts in and it immediately

I rubbed my eye yestrerday with my contacts in and it immediately got red and irritated. I took my contacts out and switched to glasses and put some drops in it but it didn't help at all. Today my eye is bloodshot and it hurts to look into any light. Do I have an infection or what is there I need to do to fix this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
If you had no pain or irritation when the contact was in but after rubbing it your eye became irritated, you may have given yourself an abrasion. A simple abrasion should heal in 24 hours. Use artificial tears 3-4 times per day. If the pain and irritation continue you should see your ophthalmologist. You may have an ulcer and need antibiotics. It would be difficult for yOu to diagnose it without being examined.

SO if you don't feel 100% by noon tOday call your doctor and in the meantime stay out of your contacts just in case you do have an infection.