Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.

I have a sty on lower eyelid near my nose that just appeared.

Customer Question

I have a sty on lower eyelid near my nose that just appeared. What do I do, should I call my ophthalmologist? It hurts a good deal.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Are you available to chat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I can chat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How does this work?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
Hello! I just wrote you but it is not appearing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, nothing came except that you just wrote to me.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
What I had written is it's a simple guy on your lower leg warm compresses is the best solution. Warm a cloth warm water and put it over your lesion for 5 to 10 minutes three times a day. It will either come to head and drain or it will decrease in redness and inflammation. You may be left with a hard nodule in its place. Is this occurs your ophthalmologist can either injected with some steroids or excise it in the office.

If this time isn't on location that's involving the drainage system of your eye it may be a more serious situation. If the stye is near the drainage system it may be an infection of the lacrimal system and requires antibiotics by mouth. Please contact your ophthalmologist this is the case. In the interim however start using the warm compresses it will help both situations.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
Forgive me - auto spell check changed all of my words in the first sentence! I meant- a simple stye on your lower lid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will do the warm compresses and call my ophthalmologist in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 4 years ago.
Great! Good luck!