Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

One eye wont react to light. It will not became small when

Customer Question

One eye won't react to light. It will not became small when light is increased and it size does not seem to increase when light dims. I can see just fine except I'm light sensitive.

Been occurring for a week no medical problems or ailments
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan : Did this occur all of the sudden Or was there an incident such as an accident?
Dr. Susan : Are you healthy?
Dr. Susan : How old are you?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

A painless dilated pupil which does not react can be a serious problem. Most worrisome is aneurysm, or dilation of the blood vessels in your head which is compressing the nerve that goes to your pupil. This needs to evaluated by imaging studies and needs immediate attention!

Assuming that you are young and healthy and have not sustained any injury to the eye or head and you do not have an aneurysm, the other diagnosis could be Adie's tonic pupil. This condition primarily affects women from 20-40 years of age and is considered benign.

Adie's pupil is a condition of unknown origin with asymmetric and inequality in the size of the pupils of the eyes. It is believed to be a result of damage to the parasympathetic nerve which innervates a muscle of the eye known as the ciliary body. . Accommodation, or the adjustment of the eye for distance, is affected, as well as pupillary dilation and contraction, the ability of the eye's iris to open or close in response to light. An Adie's pupil can be diagnosed by your ophthalmologist with specific eye drops- pharmacological testing.

I hope that this information has helped you but I HIGHLY suggest that you be evaluated for an cerebral aneurysm by the Emergency Room!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well let me clarify. sorry for the delay my net had been down.

I am 32, i am of good health. have great vision no health problems or medications.

I have sustained no injuries.

My right eye, the pupil seems to be a bit bigger than the other one. Sometimes they are the same size other times they are not.

I noticed it about six months ago but did't think much of it as later when i checked it again it seemed to be the same size and actign the same.

Recently I was suffering of dry eyes and what I assume as eye fatigue. I was spending too much time on the pc and tv and staying up very late.

My eyes were bloodshot and dry. I could see just fine but my eyes would get dry then my sight would get blurrry on both eyes cuz of it.. and a bit of light sensitivity.

The dryness has subsided and I have eased off my pc and tv time. I do fine but even while writing this email my eyes are offended by the monitor.

they don't hurt but I need to turn away occasionally or I feel they will water up.

I can read and see just find, distant and close objects. no blurry vision.

the only thing that concerns me is that my right eye pupil is bigger than my left. the right eye can see just fine. I close one left eye and compare their vision and it is fine.

My right eye typically gets irritated easier than my left. I think my sight is fatigued.. but my right eye seems to be more affect than my left eye.

My right eye feelwater like there is a film over it but not really.. although it does not affect my vision.

I am confused as i feel like there is water in my right eye and the pupil is bigger.. but it does not affect my sight.

if i forget about how my eyes feel i do not even notice it.. maybe it is justin my head that i feel soemthing in that eye. I do mess with it more than the other.

I have no problem reading nor seeing. I have always had great vision but this is driving me batty

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
You really need to get treatment for the dry eyes-there are many thinks other than artificial tears that can give you relief. You can discuss punctual plugs or Restasis with your ophthalmologist.Now that you have given me more detail about your pupils I am inclined to think it is either physiologic (normal) - some people have a millimeter of difference between the two eyes. You may also have an Adie's pupil which I discussed earlier. Either way, you should have an eye doctor evaluate you for the dry eyes, the sys strain and your pupils.Good Luck