Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Dr Rick, Does this sound like a migraine? Approx one a

Hi Dr Rick,
Does this sound like a migraine? Approx one a month i experience zig zag lights in my eye. I normally lie down and it passes after approx 10 -30 mins. I have no headaches associated with it.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

yes. Given that you had no other physical problems, it does sound like an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What medication would be useful to take to lessen the occurrence of these migraines
I've never had them bad enough to treat them and as an ophthalmologist I always send patients to their "real" doctors lol!

But, that being said, here is an excellent link to an impeccable source of information on this issue:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/DS00120/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

I know that the sun is just coming up on your side of the planet, but it is almost bedtime here......Let me know if I can do anything else to help you. G'night Mate ;) (Is that phrase used when talking to a woman too?)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOL yes, mate is the universal language here in aussie :) Thankyou for your help.
My Pleasure :)