Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

i have a heavy eyelid in my right eye. the shape of my right

Customer Question

i have a heavy eyelid in my right eye. the shape of my right eye is smaller than my left and its itchy and watery. I've seen three opthalmologists and all have said my eye sight is perfect and that i have no signs of ptosis. If so, why is my right eye becoming smaller? The opthamologists have also said that i do not have an eye infection. I've had this problem with my right eye for two months now and so far i see no way of diagnosing it, let alone finding a suitable remedy! This is making me extremely upset as i cannot seem to find an answer or solution. Please please help!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. So the eyelid is itchy?
Customer :

Hi there! thank you soo much!

Customer :

a little. i have noticed this and the watery eye over the last two days

Customer :

and a little gritty. my left eye is absolutely fine

Customer :

do you have any idea whatsoever what could be the cause? i am hoping it is temporary and can be easily fixed rather than something that is here to stay with me forever!

Customer :

I do not know where you are based but i'm in the UK and its half past midnight here so i need to log off to catch some sleep before work tomorrow. happy to stay on if you are able to respond soon, otherwise, if you are very busy, i'll have to await an emailed response instead

Customer :

ok. i really hope you are able to respond soon with a potential diagnosis. I'm extremely worried that due to my age (i am nearing 30), the answer may be that its a sign of getting older and something i need to accept! Its so very visible and i''m incredibly conscious of how it looks when talking with people. thanks

Doctor DanB : This problem with the eyelid skin is called allergic dermatitis and the itching of the eye itself called allergic conjunctivitis.  It can be quite maddening, but there are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well.  If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well.  I would suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. Doing all of these things as directed, it may take a week or two before you notice a significant improvement in the appearance but the itching should start to respond to this soon. You may also require a stronger steroid like Desonide if this isn't enough to get this to resolve completely. But paramount among these recommendations is the advice to not rub or scratch these areas as this will incite the process to worsen as you are trying to treat it.  Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed? I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.  If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.