Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

Yesterday I noticed right eye closest to my nose was red.

Customer Question

Yesterday I noticed right eye closest to my nose was red. I stopped by the fire station and the firefighters said they thought I had a blood vessel that burst. My regular eye doctor is on vacation till January 9th. Should I go see an urgent care physician? It doesn't itch, doesn't burn, isn't ozzing out anything...

Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Susan :

I agree with your firefighters- if you are having no symptoms and did not even have pain,it is most likely subconjunctival hemorrhage

Dr. Susan :

Have you been coughing, sneezing or lifting heavy objects?

Dr. Susan :

Do you take aspirin?

Customer:

yikes! how did I do that? It looks awful and of course everyone thought I had pink eye, I was at a traffic accident and a lot of dirt got kicked up. I had to blow my nose, but nothing was coming out so i kept blowing and nothing was coming out and i got a headache

Dr. Susan :

Thats it!! blowing your nose can exert pressure on tiny vessels in your eye and one burst. It is really benign...looks worse that it really is. It will clear,or reabsorb,in a few days.

Dr. Susan :

if you have any discomfort use some artificial tears 3-4 times per day

Dr. Susan :

Not to worry!

Customer:

Dr Susan, I work for a police department and I was at an officer involved accident. I didn;t know if I had allergies since my nose feels like I need to blow it, but I feel as if I have a head cold. I saw it when it first came on and it was small. Before I went home, the redness is still on one side of my eye and is touching the eyeball.

Dr. Susan :

You were in the accident?

Dr. Susan :

did you hit your face any where?

Customer:

So when I went to briefing this morning one person told me my eyeball was gonna fall out another said if it doesn't go away in 2 days you'll go blind. I went to my local urgent care yesterday, but they were closed. I have never had this and I am terrified. I was not involved in the accident all. We were dispatched to the call. Just a small amount of dirt kicked up and I remember rubbing my right inner eye (closest to my nose).

Dr. Susan :

No no!!! Don't worry-I have NEVER seen an eyeball fall out and I have worked with soldiers whom returned from Iraq with the most horrible injuries!

Customer:

Oh later in the day, I noticed my eyelashes were a little clumped together and I used an eyelash brush just to seperate the lashes. I don't wear any mascara. I don't remember hitting my eyeball with the brush either. however shortly later the redness appeared

Dr. Susan :

When you were rubbing to get the dirt eye- you probably broke a fragile vessel

Dr. Susan :

it looks red and ugly because the top layer of the eye-the conjunctiva, is translucent

Customer:

Dr. Susan,

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I see this clear up gradually in a few days? If it continues to get red and spread over to the other side of the eye would that be common? I did take 4 Advils yesterday because I had gone on a 5 mile hike in the mountains and had soreness in my legs. 4 Advils is a lot for me. Could excessive amount of Advil contribute to this?

Customer:

I went on this walk on Saturday and took the advil on Sunday at 6am. I noticed the redness start to appear about 9:30am and when I went home at 6pm, my eye was real red.

Dr. Susan :

YES-that is why I asked you if you take aspirin. Advil has aspirin which is a blood thinner and makes one more prone to bruising. It may actually start to get a bit larger or change color to greenish- grey. Just like any other bruise. If it develops pain, or your vision changes, or you are very uncomfortable- then see your ophthalmologist. But in the meantime, use artificial tears 3-4 timesperday.

Customer:

Okay, thank you very much for your information and advising what I should expect. I didn't want to go into a second phase of panic with the color changing from the healing process. So could this be completly gone in a week or two weeks?

Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.