Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Redness on one side right eye, pain when blinking. Discoloration

Redness on one side right eye, pain when blinking. Discoloration not on the eye but around it. Tear Drops don't work. Woke up with the condition and been having them for 3 days now. What is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does your eye look like this?

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage

Customer:

No nothing like that but similar.

Dr. Rick :

Ok, every eye looks different.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer:

I've had dried eyes before, and the redness is similar. But there is pain now.

Dr. Rick :

where is the pain? How is your vision?

Customer:

vision is normal, pain comes when blinking and applying pressure.

Customer:

pain comes from the skin around the eye.

Dr. Rick :

That could be from a possible scratch or small foreign body that could have caused the subconj heme. I'd use artificial tears (not visine or "get the red out" drops) and warm compresses. If there is still discomfort tomorrow I'd have an ophthalmologist take a look at you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

I've already used tear drops and applying warm cloth since yesterday, today theres no change. no increase in pain or decrease

Customer:

If it is what you say, how long does it last?

Dr. Rick :

Like I mentioned this condition is usually not anything to be worried about. The redness can take a few weeks to go away. It may spread, change colors etc as it resolves, much like a bruise elsewhere.

Dr. Rick :

The drops and warm compresses will not treat the redness...this is only for the discomfort you are having.

Customer:

Is it possible to send a picture through this chat?

Dr. Rick :

The redness is due to blood under the skin (conjunctiva) of your eye and it has to be resorbed on it's own.

Dr. Rick :

yes. you can use the paperclip above to send me a picture.

Customer:

ok, a moment pls

Dr. Rick :

click on the paperclip. then image URL, browse using the icon on the right, then choose file, find your picture on your computer, then hit ok...

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

got it.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

where my finger is pointing is where the pain originates

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is not a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Customer:

I also notices doscoloration on the skin as well

Dr. Rick :

Does it hurt when you touch there?

Customer:

yes, applying presure increases the pain

Dr. Rick :

You are most likely suffering from scleritis or episcleritis. Since it is painful I would expect that it scleritis.

Dr. Rick :

The only way to treat this condition is with prescription medicines. I suggest you see an ophthalmologist. It is not an emergency at this point but you should try to get in before close of business tomorrow.

Customer:

Is it infectious? Can it spread?

Dr. Rick :

No. It is, in most cases, not due to an infection. You can't pass it on to other.

Dr. Rick :

others.

Customer:

If it is not scleritis but I take the medicine, will it cause any side effects to take note off?

Dr. Rick :

An ophthalmologist will not mis diagnose this condition. It will be obvious on a complete exam so you need not worry that you will be taking the wrong medicine.

Customer:

Ok thank you very much.

Customer:

I think thats all.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest