Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I wear contacts and a few days ago my left eye dried out really

Customer Question

I wear contacts and a few days ago my left eye dried out really bad. I slept in the contact then the next day took out the contact before sleep then woke up and put the contact back in and later last night my left eye felt severely annoyed and the top and has been watering non stop still with the annoyance. What should be done?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is the vision blurred in that eye? Is there any associated pain or redness in the left eye?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vision is not blurred. Definate redness

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Prolonged wear of contact lenses can cause the cornea become swollen and result in reduced nutrition to the cornea( atmospheric oxygen). Discontinuation of contact lenses will help the cornea to recover along with regular use of lubricating eye drops such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks. When symptoms subside contact lens wear can be resumed after 2-3 weeks.

Since there is associated redness in that eye, there is a small risk of infection of the cornea. Now this requires a close evaluation by an Ophthalmologist and start of antibiotic eye drops. The other cause for redness could be an abrasion of the corneal surface. This heals well with lubricating eye drops and patching of the eye for 24 hours. I would suggest that you start immediately with the lubricating eye drops( and lubricating eye ointment such as Lacrilube eye ointment at bedtime) and look for improvement of signs and symptoms. If no improvement is seen after 24 hours, then it is better to get the eye examined by an Ophthalmologist.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist