Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Back in the 80s I had a retina detachment in my left eye.

Back in the 80's I had a retina detachment in my left eye. After a scleral buckle and "frying" the retina with a laser in several places, I am now legally blind in that eye. Here recently I have had a light colored sort of "wave" rise up in the lower right corner of my right eye that comes up just for less than a second and go back down. Not a "flash". But like a wave, it will rise then go down. I am scared now. Can you help or encourage.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Do you have any idea as to the cause of retinal detachment in the left eye? Was it following any injury or trauma? Are you short sighted or diabetic?

How is the vision in the right eye?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have recently been diagnosed as Type II diabetes. I am taking 2 Metformin a day. The original retina detachment was spontanious.
Hello ,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

It is very unfortunate that you have had this retinal detachment in the left eye. Since you have only recently been diagnosed with diabetes, it is not likely to be the cause of the spontaneous retinal detachment. Other conditions which can predispose a person to spontaneous retinal detachment are short sightedness( myopia) and trauma or injury to the eye( even blunt trauma can cause this).

Wave like pattern seen in your right eye could be due to either ocular migraine ( headache may or maynot be present) or due to retinal cause or due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). To know the exact cause out of these possibilities, a dilated eye exam has to be done by an ophthalmologist. Once confirmed further line of treatment can be considered. If the dilated eye exam shows a normal attached retina and no other lesion, then the possibility of PVD is very high. In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its surrounding retina. This can result in a variety of symptoms such as waves/lines/cobweb patterns/spots/circles or even flashes of light or floaters. This condition as such does not require any specific treatment. Only if peripheral retina shows any tears or holes, then laser treatment is needed to seal them. If no such problem is seen then it is best left alone.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince