Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Nearly two years ago I had both eyes done for cataracts, one

Nearly two years ago I had both eyes done for cataracts, one eye had an infection in the corner by my nose, this has been treated with chloramphenacol + steroid but the infection continually recurs. Then it spread to the other eye. It gets quiet periods but always comes back as it has today, when I woke I could hardly see out of one eye which had a film of matter . Once cleaned vision was ok. Swabs have been taken but no result. Just more chloramphenacol. Can you help please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It is likely that you are experiencing symptoms of chronic recurrent conjunctivitis which can be associated at times with blepharitis( inflammation of lid margins) or meibomianitis( inflammation of the modified sebaceous glands present in the lid margin). Similar symptoms are also seen in case of the rare type of conjunctivitis-angular conjunctivitis( redness is more prominent at the two corner of the eyes along with excoriation of the skin around the eyes). Since the vsion improves after wiping the film over the eyes, it certainly rules out other severe possible conditions of the eye. Since the swabs have shown no result it could either mean that use of antibiotic eye drops have prevented growth or that the symptoms are non-infective as in case of allergic condition. I would suggest that you consult an eye specialist ( especially a cornea or external eye disease specialist) for a closer evaluation. In case of angular conjunctivitis tetracycline eye opintment would be more beneficial while in case of allergic conjunctivitis, olopatadine eye drops would help.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist