Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr Rick My sister had an eye scan done where it was found

Dr Rick
My sister had an eye scan done where it was found that she has some black spots on the outer retina. Two doctors who were consulted gave her different opinions. While one said that she may have tuberculosis, the anther advised her to get a colonoscopy done as she might have polyps. The spots are not in the periphery, but around the center surrounding iris.
We are all confused. If you can, please let us know what is going on.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was you sister examined by an ophthalmologist or a ophthalmology sub-specialist? What sort of eye or vision problems is your sister having? Do you know the name of the scan she had?

Dr. Rick :

The iris and the retina are two very different parts of the eye. Do you mean that these spots are on the edge of her iris, in the dark circle in the middle (the pupil) or that they are in the far periphery of the retina (in the back of the eye)? I'm only asking because it not clear from what you have posted.

Dr. Rick :

Also, does your sister have any medical problems or take any medicines?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm looking forward to your responses to my questions so that we can get to work figuring out what is going on with your sister.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to call her up and get the details. Let me know if you want the scan picture to be sent to you, and if yes, how do I sent it.

thanks.Amin

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I see you have accepted my answer......but we still need to work on getting to the root of your sisters issue.

I am still here.....let's get to work, shall we?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately my whole answer got lost before I could send it to you. 1. She was examined by an optholmologist (15 years experience) at Atlanta and a scan take. I have a PDF copy of the scan. Let me know how can I send it to you as this site does not allow attachment of the PDF file. (At her routine eye exam the optometrolist informed her about the spots and advised her to see the specialist). 2. She says that she was having these black spots for the last 5 years, but she did not bother as they were not causing any vision issues, so she did not see an optholmologist earlier. 3. The spots are on one side of the retina- next to the iris - butr nearer and not far of retina . 3. She is taking "Nexium" for the last 5 years and is also taking "Prevacid" for last few months for her acidity.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
You can use the "chain" link icon on your page to try and upload the PDF document, but I'm not sure if that will work as I think it is mostly for jpeg files. Could you take a picture of the PDF with your camera and then upload that file?

The iris is in the front of the eye and attaches to the ciliary body,not the retina. Here is a diagram on the eyeball....I'm still not sure where these spots are from your description.

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Danatomy%2Bof%2Bthe%2Beye&w=149&h=160&imgurl=www.bing.com%2Fimages%2F search%3Fq%3Danatomy%2Bof%2Bthe%2Beye%23focal%3Dcec41c45ee2ca0d90edbbf63b8d1bcba%26furl%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.angioedupro.com%252fSharpoint%252fanatomy%252fanatomy_of_the_eye.jpg&size=&name=search&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fimages%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Danatomy%2Bof%2Bthe%2Beye%23focal%3Dcec41c45ee2ca0d90edbbf63b8d1bcba%26furl%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.angioedupro.com%252fSharpoint%252fanatomy%252fanatomy_of_the_eye.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fimages%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Danatomy%2Bof%2Bthe%2Beye%23focal%3Dcec41c45ee2ca0d90edbbf63b8d1bcba%26furl%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.angioedupro.com%252fSharpoint%252fanatomy%252fanatomy_of_the_eye.jpg&p=anatomy+of+the+eye&type=&no=1&tt=113&oid=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fimages%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D1544926725333%26id%3D9ed4a0102512d400c18c217621f90f1a&tit=ANATOMY+OF+THE+EYE+-+Sharpoint%E2%84%A2&sigr=15iecld9n&sigi=15b01ubr7&sigb=11s95bicb&fr=ytff1-

(I can't believe that is the link to the eye anatomy diagram but it worked when I copied and pasted it into my bowser );)

The nexium and prevacid are not an issue here.

If the general ophthalmologist doesn't know what is going on then your sister might, if these lesions are in the back of eye (retina, RPE, choriod,etc) be best served to see a retina specialist. That is what I do here in Northern Wisconsin....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
looks like the system blocked part of the url for the eye anatomy picture. You can go to google images and search "anatomy of the eye" and tons of diagrams will come up. There your can see what I mean about the iris/retina etc and, perhaps, you can help me to better understand where your sisters lesion is.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I see you are offline. I'd like to continue working on your sisters issues. Just drop me a note on this thread.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well. I am sorry. I will try to get the scan from my sister saved on a JPEG file if possible. Then you may be able to see it and advise us. Let us give3 it a last try. I still hope to get your opinion. If not then the course is only to to go to another optholologist.

I shall accept the answer and leave a feedback when some helpful answer is received to my question. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

http://i42.tinypic.com/bgeq36.jpg

will be the link. Dr. Rick, I trust this should help. Please let me know what do you think.

The google site and most of the information available onj internet does not give an "ap" view of the eye; but only the lateral, so it is not of much help. The picture is in an "ap" view. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That will be fine. Just post back to this thread and I'll be happy to review the scan for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I didn't understand. I already posted the thread above.

Do you need something else from me,

Thanks,

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Nope. I was just responding to what you said on your positive feedback about possibly getting the scan in jpeg format etc. :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ohh...wait. I just noticed you sent the picture. I am able to open it. Let me take a look.....be right back.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Those dark lesions are old chorioretinal scars. These can be due to a very large number of causes. While my copy of the picture is not all that sharp it also looks like she has lacquer cracks in the retinal pigment epithelium and areas of peripheral hypo pigmentation.

Does you sister have thick extra skin folds on her neck or can she easily overlap her thumb and index finger around her wrist?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I suggest that your sister be evaluated by a retina specialist. As I said the picture didn't come across all that clearly but it seems to suggest angioid streaks. Here is a link on some things your sisters ophthalmologist may want to consider:

http://www.retinavitreous.com/diseases/angioidstreaks.html

If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know what the retina doc finds out. Thanks :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she does not have any skin folds on her neck, and she can cover her wrist as you mentioned
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Well, I am sure that the retina doc will go over all the possible causes of your sisters findings. The one picture you sent me gives me some thoughts, as noted on the link I sent you, but a full, 3D, magnified, live exam will give the Retina specialist a lot more information. I think she will get answers after that visit.

I'd would like to hear how things turn out if you don't mind....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Oh...I forgot to mention. Based on the picture and the history you provided it is NOT an emergency that she be seen right away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Rick. These are not streak, and they are not red. These are black spots and the Optholmologist says that these could be on account of polyps and recommended colonoscopy.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Rick. With all due respect, I would like to consult some other opholmogist on Justanswer site.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sure. No problem.

I was talking about the subtle findings in the picture other then the obvious black spots.....but it would be good to see what the other ophthalmologists think.

It has been a pleasure to help you.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
.Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate your help. Her main worry today was what those black spots are, and how harmful they can be now or in future. But I do see and appreciate your point of looking at the larger picture.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. I don't think, however, that those black spots (old chorioretinal scars) are the entire issue.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are right. Thanks