Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

my mom has a stye on her upper eyelid. the swelling has pushed

Customer Question

my mom has a stye on her upper eyelid. the swelling has pushed an eyelash downward so that it is scratching the eye. can I pluck out the one eyelash? it is more irritating than just the stye alone would be. since this is new years eve, I don't think any stores will be open to go buy eyedrops from, so we are stuck with what we have here at home -warm washcloths, warm teabags ( the only kind we have are the " Constant Comment" variety, which have black tea with orange peel and spices included), which we have used for about 15 minutes tonight. We don't have any eyedrops, except a never opened bottle of original formula Visine for redness relief with the safety seal still intact. What do you suggest?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Sure. It is perfectly safe to pluck that eyelash. As a matter of fact it might help the stye to start draining if it is in the same spot.

Dr. Rick :

Warm washcloths are just fine.....using tea bags really doesn't add anything (other then smelling good :)

Dr. Rick :

Don't use the visine as it will just make things more irritated in the long run. If you can get some artificial tears (there are many brand names) you can use them as frequently as you like. They are available almost everywhere, including gas stations, nowadays.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I think that the chat system in acting up as I noted you were typing but nothing showed up. I'll switch to Q&A and we can continue there....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I'm still here if you would like to discuss this issue further. Sorry about the problems with the chat system tonight :(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, thank you, Dr. Rick. If I do pluck the eyelash, do I need to do any prep, do I need to wash the area first? Should I apply the warm washcloth afterward? Yes, the tea does smell very good! I had read on a home remedy website that the tannic acid helps reduce swelling. Is that true? Mom used to use it in our bath when we had a sunburn. She wants to go to bed now, so would it be more beneficial to pluck the eyelash now or is it just as good to wait till morning? Thank you for your time, especially now on New Year's Eve.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Nope. Just get a tweezers and give it a yank :)

Tell your mom not to jump too much :)

I don't think that the tannic acid really does anything to help with swelling....but it doesn't hurt anything either.

It's up to real reason you can't just give that wayward eyelash a good yank right now....I don't even think it will hurt much at least it doesn't hurt me when I help to pluck some of my wife's lashes lol!

Have a Happy New Year. Take care.