Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

MY LEFT EYE STARTED TWICHING ABOUT 5 DAYS AGO UNDER THE LEFT LOWER EYELASH AND HAS TWITCHED EVERY DAY SINCE ABOUT TWICE A DAY FOR APROX 2 MINUTES.eVERY SINCE THE FIRST EYE TWITCHING THAT AREA OF MY FACE HAS FELT WEIRD NEAR MY LEFT EYE AREA AND BELOW IT TO MY JAW AREA.IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I HAD A MILD STROKE.i CAN FEEL MY FACE WHEN I TOUCH IT WITH MY HAND AND ABLE TO SMILE AND TALK CORRECTLY .i just have a strange feeling on my left side of my face and has felt strange like tightning skin in that area and it has felt strange for aprox 5 days.I was thinking of asking my doctor for a mri to see if i had a small stroke.I have no other stroke symptoms.Am i just scared and just overreacting or is it possible i may have had a mild stroke?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. You have not had a stroke.

Dr. Rick :

What you are experiencing is called myokymia.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks for your reply.Yes i was scared that i had a mild stroke.Yes i had the left eye twitch about 5 days ago but the left side of my face near the left eye and left cheek area and left jaw area feels weird.It doesnt feel numb when i touch it and isnt paralized but it feels strange like a tightning of skin similar to when you get a sunburn but of course my skin isnt painful just that weird feeling in the left side of my face.Do you definitly rule out a mild stroke since i had no other left sided weakness or slurred speech or dizzeness etc.Is it highly unlikey that someone can have a mild stroke and have no other stroke symptoms exept a strange feeling in one side of the face?are you like almost100 percent sure that i didnt have a mild stroke since the only symptoms i have had was the eye twitching and my left side of my face has felt strange for aprox 5 days
Even if I was able to examine you in person two decades of practicing ophthalmology has taught me never to be 100% certain about anything. :o)

That being said I am very confident that you are not suffering from stroke and, from what you have described, have myokymia.

If you are concerned you could go to the ER, but I really don't think that is necessary....

As a person who has asked 7 questions on JustAnswer you know all about that Pretty Green Button....

Have a Great New Year.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i want to say thank you for your advice.Yes i trust you and your time and patience was greatly apprreciated.I thank you again and you too have a safe and healthy year.Thank you for your time.
My pleasure. Have a Great Time tonight.