Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my eye runs a lot--it will get crusty overnight--and often

Customer Question

my eye runs a lot--it will get crusty overnight--and often there is green gook in it--I have had surgery to decompress my eye and I have a jones tube--but it still runs, gooks and crusts--any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
JACUSTOMER-h1pyo2o1- :

Doctor DanB : I think to a certain extent there is a baseline level of discharge, tearing and mattering you can expect with the Jones tube  However if this level of discharge is increased as of late and is more green, thick and voluminous, then this is possibly an infection that needs to be treated. Another possibility is that your Jones tube is not it fitting adequately and needs to be resized. Does this make sense?
JACUSTOMER-h1pyo2o1- :

to a point--but this is the second jones tube he's put in----a medication --tobramycin & dexamethasone-- provides the only relief I get, when I use this daily there are no problems--but I am not supposed to use it any more due to the steroids causing other problems----this actually started before the jones tube went in and that was supposed to fix it----it gets thick enough it causes blurred vision and other people are telling me I need to wipe my eye regularly--but I try not to touch it any more than I have too

JACUSTOMER-h1pyo2o1- :

where did you go?

Doctor DanB : I'm sorry. I'm on my smartphone answering this and I lost service. I suspect that you may need a revision of the operation. I suspect that the opening that was created may need to be revised. If you can't stay hoop free without the Tobradex then this is possible. I think it's time that you seek a second opinion from another Oculoplastics specialist.
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.