Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a small mass on the surface of my eye that has never

Customer Question

I have a small mass on the surface of my eye that has never caused problems before. For the last week I have begun to have worsening vision in that eye. I am now unable to read with that eye and my vision is quite dark. What could cause this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

hi.

Customer:

yes. i am available.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more about how your vision has changed? Also, is the other eye involved at all?

Customer:

it is my boyfriend. he can't read out of that eye, everything is blurry and shadowy. the other eye is perfect.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Does he wear contacts or have any medical problems?

Customer:

no. he just had his vision checked Jan 2011 and it was 20/20. he has high blood pressure but that is it.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Can you take a picture of this mass on his eye and upload it to me? Here is an easy way to upload a picture so I can see it:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

would i be able to send it to you in a couple of hours? he is at home right now and i am at work.

Dr. Rick :

I'm in the operating room soon for the rest of the day.....we can figure out something to do without the picture :)

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

It is unlikely, anyway, that the small mass on his eye is causing his significant central vision loss.

Customer:

ok that's good.

Customer:

that was concerning

Customer:

do you think i should get him in to see someone soon? he is balking at seeing a doctor but i'm worried.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that can cause slowly decreasing vision in a basically healthy 39 year old man. A common one is called central serious retinopathy.

Dr. Rick :

Us men never want to go to doctors :)

Customer:

lol

Customer:

so i see.

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

and, yes, I think you should get him into an ophthalmologist -- kicking and screaming if necessary -- for a full eye exam. The list of possible causes for his symptoms is long and branching and the only way to really sort things out if for him to have a compete eye exam by an eye MD.

Dr. Rick :

What could it be? Well, like I've already mentioned, CSR. It could also be something as simple as dryness of his eyes, although I don't think that is it.....

Customer:

ok thank you. i will do my best. Is there anything his primary care physician can do for him? We live in a severely underserved area for eye care.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a link on the condition I mentioned:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_serous_retinopathy

Customer:

perfect. thank you.

Dr. Rick :

No. A primary care MD doesn't have the training or equipment to help with this issue....I'd also not count on an optometerist being of much help

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Good luck! I know how stubborn I can get when my wife want to drag me to a doctor lol!

If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.