Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi, ive had this problem with my eyes for the past

Customer Question

hi,

i've had this problem with my eyes for the past several years. the problem is that my eyes water continuously, especially when i'm out and about. i have to carry a bunch of tissues with me every time i go out. and when they arenot watering they still release this grey, slimey, mucousy discharge from time to time and i have to keep cleaning them with a tissue. it's at its worst in the morning. by the time i wake up my eyes are just filled with this mucousy shit. it's aweful. i don't even like to look at my face in mirror at that point. it's that bad. there is hardly any itching or pain in the eyes by the way.
oh another thing is, ( i don't know if it is related to the eye problem )once or twice a week i get skin irritation all over my body and when i scratch i get rashes. so i take a anti-histamine (cetirizine hydrochloride) everytime it happens. i've been taking them for all these years. can you please suggest something i can get over the counter mainly for the eye problem as i can atleast use anti-histamines for skin irritation. although i know it isn't a permanant solution. thanx.
Category: Eye
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
You should try Visine-A (Formerly OcuHist).

Any questions?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis. When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose. Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec. Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this issue further. If you are satisfied then.......

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

there's one thing that i didn't mention in my question which is that i had the eye problem way before i started getting skin irritation and using anti-histamines. so the root cause of the eye problem may be something else. although i agree that the anti-histamines may be a contributing factor in aggrevating the eye problem as regular use of them often causes dry eyes.

until i get proper medical treatment for skin problem i'll have to continue taking the anti-histamines. so is there something i can take alongside anti-histamines that will keep my eyes from getting dry such as eye drops or something else?

another expert on this website mr. Khagihara suggested Visine-A (formerly OcuHist ). could someone elaborate on that ? i mean is it eye drops or something taken internally? can i buy it online? how does it work ? etc. thanks a lot.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Mr. Khagihara is not an ophthalmologist. As an ophthalmologist with almost two decades of experience I would stay away from Visine or other drops that are "for getting the red out". They tend to just make things worse.

Until you can get in for treatment of the skin problem I would suggest you use preservative free artificial tears. There are many brand names; ask the pharmacist to point them out to you and purchase the least expensive brand as they are all about the same. These drops can be purchased in almost any store -- grocery, pharmacy, wal mart etc. There is nothing that you can take by mouth to help with this problem as far as I know.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.

Does this make sense to you.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest