Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Help- it is christmas eve and I am staying at inlaws 2 hours

Help- it is christmas eve and I am staying at inlaws 2 hours from medical facility. I have woken with a case of pink eye. Can I use Polysporin topical in my eye until I can get to an eye doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Rick,

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Good news! Pink eye is caused by a virus and, as such, no antibiotics or medical exam/treatment is necessary.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is use artificial tears (available almost everywhere....even on Christmas eve) and cold compresses.

Customer:

I wear contacts and have woken up with an eye infection it seems and I have taken them out but my eye is watery and sensitive to the light. very red. Can i use polysporin topical brand in my eye? I will not be able to get to a doctor until monday

Dr. Rick :

Remember.....this is very contagious! Wash your hands often, don't share towels, pillows etc and this will run it's course in about 2 weeks. It might spread to your other eye too :(

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, that is a very different story.........

Dr. Rick :

I would guess that you could have a corneal infection/ulcer. And NO. You can not use topical polysporin ointment in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Did you sleep in your contacts?

Customer:

yes but i didnt have this until this morning and they were a new set

Dr. Rick :

Still, the most common cause of a red, painful, photophobic eye in a patient who wears contact lenses an slept in them (even if they are new) is a corneal ulcer. Depending on what bacteria is involved this can be very, very, very serious with any delay causing significant and, many times permanent, vision loss.

Customer:

I have had this in the past happen with my contacts .. so I guess I will wear my glasses and do nothing until I can get into my eye doctor on monday.

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest, as difficult that this on this particular day, that you see an ophthalmologist ASAP. If this is not possible the next best thing is to be examined at an emergency room. At least there they can do a minimal eye exam and give you antibiotic if needed.

Customer:

OK.. thank you for your help. Have a nice holiday

Dr. Rick :

I think you are taking a large risk with that course of action.......

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. You too. I hope you feel better soon.