Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am very concerned about red blood vessels in the white area

Customer Question

I am very concerned about red blood vessels in the white area of my left eye (between my nose and my eyeball). What happened about three weeks ago was that I had to have two plates temporarily placed on my eyes, below my eyelids because I had my eye lids lasered by my doctor (it was to remove capillary veins from my eyelids). The plates were made of a plastic material to protect my eyes from the lasers. With my left eye, the doctor had some trouble placing the plate because it kept coming out. She kept having to re-install the plate which touched directly the white area of my eye. She finally got the plate to say (the plate in my right eye was place correctly the first try without having to keep putting it in so there was not that repeated contact with the white area of my eye with the plate as with my left eye). Anyway, I now have these red vessels in my left area of my eye where the doctor had trouble getting that plate to stay. This was the second time I had done this. The first time, there was no trouble at all and my eyes looked fine. My doctor assured me that this would cause no damage to the white area of my eye ahead of time, before the first time.

When I emailed her after the second time which has left red blood vessels in my white eye area, she assured me that it would go away "over time". It is true that my eye looks a little better than it did before. However, the vessels are still visibly there and my left eye are looks bloodshot from the vessels. My right white eye area looks fine. I am getting really worried about my left eye and am very self-concious about it. I see fine but the red vessels really look ugly. I look like I am "stoned" in my left eye. Does my left eye still need more time to heal? Its been three weeks. Again, my doctor "assured" me that these vessels would go away "over time" but I thought they would be gone by now. She is also not an eye doctor (she is a dermotologist who performs laser treatments for the skin). Please advise me what I should do. Should I get medicated eye drops from an eye doctor? Thank you for your time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

are these intact vessels that are just larger/wider or is an area of blotchy redness/blood?

Dr. Rick :

Also, what is the name of the eye drops you are using?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am still here and working on your question. There is no answer yet as I've requested more information so that I could better understand what is going on with your eyes.

Did you see my posts above? If not, let me cut/paste them here:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : are these intact vessels that are just larger/wider or is an area of blotchy redness/blood?
Dr. Rick : Also, what is the name of the eye drops you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Doctor,

I was having problems accessing your answers. I had sent some emails telling you that when I clicked onto the link "View your Answer", I could not find your answer for the longest time. I guess there was some kind of connectivity problems. I would like to continiue now that I have finally accessed this. I could not access your answers until now.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Let's do so. Do you have an answer for me to the above inquires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These blood vessels appear to be intact but enlarged. I am unsure if there are additional blood vessels. There are no red spots nor blood. The eye drops I have used are Visine, Clear Eyes, Similisan (from the health food store) and Bausch & Lomb eye relief.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

First off....stop using the visine and the clear eyes as they will just, in the long run, make the vessels bigger and more red. Do not use anything that says it "gets the red out"

I would actually stop all those drops you are using and use preservative free artificial tears. There are many brand names....just ask the pharmacist to point them out to you. As they are all about the same you should purchase the least expensive ones.

You can also use cold compresses to help the redness go away.

I agree with what you have been told so far. There should be no permanent damage and the redness should return to baseline in the near future.

How long will this take? Hard to tell....but it will be OK in the long end, I promise :)

From what you described concerning the difficulties with placing the shield in your eye no permanent damage was done to your eyeball.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I should stop using all eye drops "that get the red out" and just use preservative artificial tears? I admit that I have never used the "artificial tears" before. Can I just get them at the pharmacy like the anti-red eye drops?

This is a relief to know that the white area of my eye has not incurred permanent damage from that plate. I was hoping my doctor was not just acting dismissive when she told me that my white eye are would be alright when I told her about the red blood vessels appearing there after the treatment using the plates on my eyes.

So to reiterate; my white area of my eye will be alright and there is no permanent damage? It was quite white before this treatment and I have been so scared that this has been permanent damage that I have had trouble sleeping. Is there a general time frame for how long this will "heal"? Its almost a month. I had the treatment done on Dec. 2nd. January 2nd will be a month.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes. They are available at all pharmacies, wal mart, some grocery stores etc.

That is correct. There really is almost impossible for you to have had permanent damage to your eyes from those plates, no matter how much the doc struggled to get them in before your laser treatment.

There is no time frame for the vessels to return to normal. Also, I'm sorry to say, but your use of the drops that you have been using has most likely made things worse and extended the time for things go return to normal. Once again, however, there is no permanent damage here....not even by the drops.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you and good night. I have written positive feedback regarding your answer and can sleep better tonight than I have been able for the past few weeks since my treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. Have a wonderful holiday season :o)