Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have conjunctivitis from the adeno virus and my eyes are

Customer Question

I have conjunctivitis from the adeno virus and my eyes are still red on the outsides after 2 weeks - when will they start to improve?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It might take up to another 7 to 10 days for your eyes to get back to their normal whiteness after a bout of viral conjunctivitis. You can use cool compresses and artificial tears to make your eyes feel a little better and, maybe, speed up the process some.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes....it is just the outsides of each eye now but doesnt seem to be improving at all over last few days

Dr. Rick :

Ya....it can be like that sometimes...... looks like you are just one of the "lucky" ones that take a bit longer to get rid of the inflammation :(

Dr. Rick :

It is nothing to worry about......you will be OK in the long run

Customer:

is it normal for the redness to move to the outsides and then persist?

Dr. Rick :

Normal? What is today's world is normal anymore lol! It is, however, not unusual. I see it all the time in my practice.

Customer:

so it is usually gone after 3-4 weeks then?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, although some people have redness longer then others. There should be no need to use any antibiotic drops. Also, stay away from visine or other "get the red out" drops as this will only irritate things and make it worse

Customer:

I am lucky i suppose that i have no soreness or sensitivity to light really or blurred vision but it looks bad and it is frieking me out.............glad you mentioned visine cause i have some i was gunna use

Dr. Rick :

:)

Dr. Rick :

I was just using my "psychotic" powers lol!

Customer:

how much of this do you see? I suppose i'm trying to figure out what the average timeframe is for the redness to go away

Dr. Rick :

I've been practicing ophthalmology for almost two decades and I've seen more cases of adenoviral conjunctivitis then I can remember.....and the time for the redness to go away varies from 2 weeks to 6 or 7 weeks.......but in every case that I've been involved in things turn out ok. Are there complicated cases? Sure, but they tend to have problems with their vision, foreign body sensation, etc, which you have not reported having any issues with at this time.

Dr. Rick :

I really think you just need to give it a bit more time and, in the end, everything will be ok.

Customer:

rarely it feels like there may be something in one but it bdoesnt last long and i try not to rub it..........given the swabs came back with adenovirus, should i be concerned that there is also somethingt else wrong or is what i am describing pretty typical of adenovirus conjunctivitis?

Dr. Rick :

From what you are telling me it sound like you don't have to worry about it being anything else.....sounds like adenovirus eye infection.

Customer:

ok....i will use some cold compresses and stop sooking then hey? also, should the artificial tears be saline solution or is there something better?

Dr. Rick :

You can buy the tears anywhere and there are many brand names....just ask the pharmacist (or do you call them chemists on your end of the planet?) They are a special kind of saline formulated for the ey.

Customer:

thankyou, appreciate your time and advice.......i am a little anxious when it comes to my eyes but have a few weeks off now to rest and recover..................should i say away from my pool or surfing?

Dr. Rick :

No. It is OK for you to go to the pool and to surf.....just watch out for sharks!

Customer:

saw one last week actually, a little (8ft) hammerhead....scared the you know what out of me for a second until i realised how small he was

Dr. Rick :

I bet. If you have a chance say Hi to the Southern Cross for me. I hope to see it someday with my own eyes.....

Customer:

can i reinfect myself or stop touching the eyes??? (last question i promise)

Dr. Rick :

no. You can touch your eyes all you want without worry.

Customer:

i have it tattood on my left shoulder so can see it right now

Customer:

appreciate your professional help champ

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the future.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry one last thing (i promise).......will this just be cleared up one day or will it be gradual

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I think it will be more of a gradual process.......

And...thanks for the bonus :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Dr Rick, zero improvement yet.........im getting worried that it will never clear up, if it doesnt clear up is there anything that can be done for the redness of the eyes permanently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Is there any way you can take a clear, in focus, picture of the affected area? I can zoom in on the picture here..

If you can here is an easy way to upload the picture to me:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://i41.tinypic.com/wvzedd.jpg (right eye which also has redness in corner)

and

http://i40.tinypic.com/zmgi6d.jpg (left eye which is clear on inside)

I hope they are clear enough for you

Gav

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the pictures. Those are the normal blood vessels in your conjunctiva that have become enlarged due to the irritation of your viral infection.

Are there other conditions that can cause these blood vessels to enlarge? Yes. Many of them but, with the history you provided, it is most likely due to the effects of the viral infection....

The good news? They should become smaller and less noticeable in the future.

The bad news? It could take a few months :(

The best thing you can do is continue using artificial tears to soothe your eyes. Make sure to stay away from eye drops that are for "getting the red out" as they will just make things worse in the long run.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
If the redness never clears up there are things that can be done to get rid of the redness permanently such as cautery to the vessels, excision of the affected conjunctiva etc. I would, however not recommend these treatments as they will damage your conjunctiva, the vessels may come back and the conjunctiva serves a lot of important functions.....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, a few months!

Has the duration you suggest now changed from seeing the pictures?

I was thinking maybe the antibiotic drops may have caused this, is there anything to that theory? Would you suggest the steriod drops to assist them to come back in size?

I realise I shouldnt smoke and the only advice you will give me is to stop, but seriously, is smoking contributing to the redness or will it extend the timeframe for improvement?

Gav

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The antibiotic drops did not cause this....

Steroid drops will, most likely, make things a lot better. This being said, the risks of using steroids are great so I would not recommend this course of action. Give time a chance to make things better :)

No. Smoking is, most likely, not having a significant effect on this redness. And the good news is that the drugs used in chemotherapy for lung cancer will clear up the redness in your eyes really quick (there is always a bright side to everything if you just look hard enough lol!)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou

Ill try to stay away from the ling cancer drug then hey!

What are the risks with steroid drops? I have a mate who reckons they worked great....never take advice from a surfing mate though hey

Gav

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The list of risks of using steroid eye drops is long.....let me just hit on some of the highlights:

glaucoma, leading to blindness

scleral melting, leading to blindness

serious corneal infections, leading to blindness.....

Need more? ;o)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WOW

with respect of duration you expect to clear up on its own. did the pictures make you extend timeframe from 2-6 or 7 weeks to a few months??????

I will let time take its course as you suggest, just very frustrating.

Gav

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Blood vessels like that can take a long time to return to their "pre-irritation" state....sorry about that :(