Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

30 years ago i had surgery on both my eyes for sub acute glaucoma

Customer Question

30 years ago i had surgery on both my eyes for sub acute glaucoma (left eye) and as a preventative measure (right eye). I now have catarracts in both eyes and need surgery to remove them. My specialist advises me that this surgery could cause me more problems with my sight because of the previous surgery i have had. when i requested his advice and guidance on whether to proceed with the surgery he was reluctant to either encourage or discourage me in my decision. All he would say was that her couldnt give me any assurance that surgery would improve my vision. Please explain what the alternatives are. yours David Matthews
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

hello.

Dr. James :

what type of surgery did you have for the glaucoma?

Dr. James :

How was your vision after the surgery?

Customer:

releive channel to allow pressure release.

Dr. James :

How has your vision been after the surgery?

Customer:

reasonable with spectacles

Dr. James :

was the procedure done in the operating room or with a laser?

Customer:

no

Dr. James :

if it was not done in the operating room or with a laser, then how was it done?

Customer:

it was done in theatre by a specialist

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

It appears you had a a surgical iridectomy. You should still be able to have cataract surgery done to improve your vision. It is true that prior surgery can make the cataract surgery more difficulty, but certainly still can be done safely.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
although i accepted your reply i must admit to being somewhat disappointed with your responce. I am attending an appointment with my personal GP to put my concerns about what ive been told from the eye surgeon. In the hope that my worries will be alleviated or I can see a different specialist who can deal with the problems the previous specialist seems unable to deal with. No disrespect to this person but all of us have different levels of skill and knowledge in whatever aspect of life we live and work in.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the feedback.

Can you elaborate on what portion of my answer disappointed you?

Have you seen another eye surgeon for a second opinion?