Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eye has been red about a week and tonight I noticed a small

My eye has been red about a week and tonight I noticed a small pimple sized bump on the white area. What could cause that?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are most likely experiencing an inflamed pinguecula. This is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

. This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.

Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/PRE-OPERATIVE_PINGUECULA.JPG/800px-PRE-OPERATIVE_PINGUECULA.JPG

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Pterygium_%28from_Michigan_Uni_site%2C_CC-BY%29.jpg/220px-Pterygium_%28from_Michigan_Uni_site%2C_CC-BY%29.jpg

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

Dr. Rick :

Do not use any visine or other drops for "getting the red out" as they will just make things worse. I suggest you use warm compresses and artificial tears to soothe your eye. This will help the redness to go away although the little bump will most likely remain.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, but where did the bump come from and will it eventually go away?

Dr. Rick :

As I mentioned above the bump is from changes in the white part of your eye from a lifetime of exposure to the sun. It has become much more noticeable since it has become red and irritated. The bump may get a little smaller but it will, most likely, still be present even after the redness is resolved. It is NOT an infection and it does not need antibiotic drops or pills.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other questions tonight?

Customer:

So by applying warm compresses, the red will go away? How often will I have to apply the compresses?

Dr. Rick :

At least once a day; more if you can. The frequent use of artificial tears will also help a lot.

Customer:

What type of artificial tears?

Dr. Rick :

There are many brand names. Bion tears is one as is tears naturale. They are all about the same so use the least expensive ones :)

Customer:

Okay. Thank you very much Dr. Rick.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening and I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.